After 13 years - My First Walker!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

I got my first metal detector 13 years ago. I had several years of semi-serious detecting after that and then only got back into the hobby last year. Who would've thought I'd find two silver dollars before finding a walker? Not me.

I've always thought they are one of the prettiest coins. My brother has already found two this year and has been lording it over me. 🙃

I started the morning early and hit a beach spot that has been on my mind. Spent about an hour and a half there. It was a bust.

My brother, Echoplex and I then met up at a different beach spot. It has treated us well but is slower going than it used to be. After an hour and a half I hadn't found a coin. I told my brother I was going to take one more pass up and down the beach. I got a good 12-44 signal at 5 inches but didn't want to get my hopes up. I'd gotten lots of those signals already that turned out to be junk.

Well, today it was meant to be. My first walker! It was also my only coin from the beach in over 2 hours there.

While driving to that beach, a little spot caught my eye. I decided to check it out on my way home. I'm glad I did.

I landed a couple silver Dimes, a few Wheats and a marble there in an hour there.

All in all, a spectacular day of hunting and great way to start my bachelor party weekend!

Here are my keepers today:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533936794.008200.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533936818.177034.jpg

The tally:
-1 Walking Liberty Half (1927-S)
-1 Merc (1918-S)
-1 Rosie (1959-D)
-3 Wheats

Before you give me grief about gouging the coins, I know. It essentially hasn't rained here in 3 months. It's all I could do to pry them out of the packed, dry dirt. Hoping for some rain to loosen things up.

Happy hunting this weekend all!
-W

Upvote 45
OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
There is hope! I thought I was the only one! Every hole I dig I’m hoping for my first Walker, and I’ve been digging for 9 years. I’ve dug four Barber halves, a Morgan, even a Seated quarter. It’s odd that a Walker would be the hard one to find, sounds like your story.

Big congrats on finding your Walker!

You're not the only one! I don't know why this coin was so hard for me to find. Next up, King George V Canadian silver coin!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Three Wheaties & three silvers, I'd say that you had a great day! :occasion14:

Dave

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great hunt! I hope you find many more walkers out there.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome. Congrats :icon_thumright:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finally getting your Walker and hope there’s more where that came from. Good luck and HH

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! that is a great find. IMHO Walkers and SLQs are among the best looking coins the U.S. has ever minted.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big-O-Silver gets you a Big-O-Congrats. Scratching at the list is always a good thing. Who said 13 isn't a lucky number? Congrats again to you.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the most beautiful coins ever made! I scored one just a few weeks ago. It wasn’t my first, but it still took my breath away nonetheless. Congratulations, now go find your second!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread