1806 Draped Bust Quarter...Counterfeit????

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin today at an 1850's home (supposedly there was an older homesite on the property).

First thought when I pulled it out was a token, it was really gross and couldn't see any details.

Cleaned it a bit more and realized it was a US 1806 Draped Bust quarter. Scratched like no coin I've seen before.

I was skeptical...

First, the dirt wasn't cleaning off nicely like most silver coins. Secondly, I just weighed it after getting home and the scale says 5.5 grams. Online says it should be 6.74 grams.

Edit: forgot to mention it rings up a 60 on the deus, much lower than I'd expect for a silver quarter

Can any experts help me out here? If anything, seems like it might be an old counterfeit.....

(the pics are sideways on the preview but I noticed if you expand them they show right side up. Not sure why this is an issue..)

Attachments

• 20180812_152409.jpg
    20180812_152409.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 399
  • 20180812_152424.jpg
    20180812_152424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Upvote 33
OP
OP
grasshopper

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it looks like a contemporary counterfeit, and a killer find that shouldn’t be dismissed.
Certainly a great early counterfeit that was well made. A lot of counterfeits of that era was silver plated or silver washed copper, but yours looks more like a billon material. I’m not entirely convinced either - there’s always an off-chance it could be very worn, although 1-1/4 grams is quite substantial. What’s catching my eye is the sharpness of the details. I wish I could zoom in on your pictures but my phone isn’t allowing me.

And sometimes crust does attach to old silver. A friend of mine found an encrusted 8 reales in the woods once that looked counterfeit due to the impossible brown crust on it. After much cleaning it was a 1750’s 8 reales Spanish coin.

And as far a vdi - it’s not always reliable, even on a Deus. Did you scan it again out of the hole to make sure it didn’t ring higher? There always a chance it was on edge.
Thanks for your opinion!

Just double checked, it rings up a solid repeatable 61 on my machine.

I attached a few zoomed in close ups. Screenshot_20180813-183106_Gallery.jpeg Screenshot_20180813-183112_Gallery.jpeg

I also just dropped a silver Washington on the table and then dropped this coin and mine sounds like it's made out of wood [emoji23][emoji23]

It also feels slightly malleable in my fingers...

Last edited:

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure it's not a real one that survived a fire?

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool! Congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your opinion!

Just double checked, it rings up a solid repeatable 61 on my machine.

I attached a few zoomed in close ups. View attachment 1621738 View attachment 1621739

I also just dropped a silver Washington on the table and then dropped this coin and mine sounds like it's made out of wood [emoji23][emoji23]

It also feels slightly malleable in my fingers...

Yeah, I was able to view those photos just fine. Contemporary counterfeit that seems to have survived well. Perhaps some lead alloy. Very nice

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the area around the hole , from the pics it appears that there is a raised rim around the hole on both sides - this suggests wear over a period of time ( some years ) . As a metal fabricator ,I know you may get a raised area around a hole that you have punched or driven through - on the underside only ! - so this "fake " coin was worn ( thought of as genuine ?) for a good while apparently . Other ideas , theories please !

Last edited:
OP
OP
grasshopper

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the area around the hole , from the pics it appears that there is a raised rim around the hole on both sides - this suggests wear over a period of time ( some years ) . As a metal fabricator ,I know you may get a raised area around a hole that you have punched or driven through - on the underside only ! - so this "fake " coin was worn ( thought of as genuine ?) for a good while apparently . Other ideas , theories please !
Great point. Never even noticed that until you mentioned...

colonialct

Oct 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find and probably very rare as well. Congrats.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say fake...……...

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, the next best thing to finding a US 1806 Draped Bust quarter, is finding a counterfeit US 1806 Draped Bust Quarter.
I managed to dig a counterfeit Barber half years ago, and it's displayed to show off to people.
Kudos!
Carl

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it was drilled which is common practice back then. That may also account for the lower weight. Take it to a coin dealer and have them test the silver content.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost certainly a pewter counterfeit and it’s a fantastic find! Probably the earliest “silver” US counterfeit I’ve seen posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread