cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that sold was a small date D copper, which they supposedly didn't make. Yours looks like a large date to me.

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this help?

Hopefully these help. Thank you, for your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_7553.JPG
    IMG_7553.JPG
    504.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7543.JPG
    IMG_7543.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 70

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a LARGE date

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a LARGE date

Ok, fair enough. Why the weight discrepancy? LARGE date is supposed to weigh 2.5 to 2.8 i believe. This coin weighs in at 3.1

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it weighs 3.1 it is just a copper cent, not a copper coated zinc. Both were made in 1982.

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you kindly all

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1982 there were no Large dates made in Denver. The copper Large date was made out of West Point and it had no mint mark. So, LARGE or small date that would make this, copper penny, "rare" On some level. Right?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Thank you for putting up better images. On small images, and those that lack definition, my trifocaled eyes do not readily pick up details.

If you continue to have an interest in coins, please pick up a few guidebooks. The Whitman Red Book and the Whitman Cherrypickers Guides are good starters. Learning how coins are manufactured will also be an important part of your education.

There are also several good websites and blogs, although the poor to “just plain stupid” seem to dominate.

On YouTube, misinformation dominates to such a degree that the platform is nearly worthless.

Finally time for more coffee.

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your advice and time. I will get better informed by trusted books, that's a great tip

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1982 there were no Large dates made in Denver. The copper Large date was made out of West Point and it had no mint mark. So, LARGE or small date that would make this, copper penny, "rare" On some level. Right?

There were plenty of large date copper cents struck at the Denver mint in 1982, it's the small dates that are rare. The Philadelphia mint also struck large and small dates on copper and zinc, which have no mint mark (West Point only strikes commemorative and bullion coins, except for some rare exceptions). Still good to have all the 1982 date varieties in case you want to create a set for that year.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s never a bad idea to give a handful of change and / or every dug coin the once over. Just last year alone I received a war nickel, several buffalo nickels, and a mint error penny back in my change. The mint error penny is worth about $10.00 which wasn’t too shabby considering the fact that the cup of coffee that I bought cost me about $2.00! Pickup a copy of the Official Red Book from your local coin shop, it will help you with identifying your finds.

Mike

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will certainly do. That's why I come here. You guys know what your talking about.
Thank you much!!

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaks my heart when you say " just a copper cent" hahah but I hear you.

OP
OP
Tizzy

Tizzy

Jul 8, 2017
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaks my heart when you say " just a copper cent" hahah but I hear you.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The link below will help in determining 1982 "Small Date" Cents from "Large Date" Cents. On the 1982 "Small Date" Cents, notice how the digit is curved well to the left on the Southwesterly leg of the "2" and the lower bar does not extend beyond the outer curve of the digit. On the 1982 "Large Date" Cents, the digit is straight on the Southwesterly leg and the lower bar extends well past the outer curve of the digit.

1982 P & D Large and Small Dates

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions