Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crap crap and more crap. my first mistake of the day was taking the advice of an idiot that knows nothing of the states history and checked out an area that supposedly once had an old V&T Railroad depot. second mistake was dragging my wife along with me but i wont get into that. well i did find the area where the track once laid but that was it after digging up my share of nails and tin soup cans i was getting disappointed and then i hit something i thought was going to be really nice. well after digging for over 20 min to a depth of 9 inches i realized it was a buried rail road tie >:( you see my frustration. so i left that site went to the picnic area of an old lake and found more crap junk clad and i think one penny 1987 and one dime 2000 anyway. spent a couple hours there and started heading home when i decided to stop at an old park so i went out to the volley ball court and scanned both sides for over 2 hours found NOTHING!!!! then i asked a park attendant if he new anything about the court and yes he did they just put it in a week ago :-\ so i left there and decided one more spot which was the local reservoir and i must have found enough nails to build a boat with and that's it just nails. I'm getting frustrated and i just started detecting. i spent 10 hours today out and about and didn't even find a dollars worth in change. am i doing something wrong or what? ??? i did find a button and some plate looking thing maybe someone on here might know something about let me know if you do. i hope my bad luck streak goes away soon. >:(

Attachments

• P1010081.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 632
  • P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 628
  • P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 632
  • P1010087.JPG
    P1010087.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 626
  • P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 583
  • P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 595
  • P1010090.JPG
    P1010090.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nah, it wasn't a waste!

You found some stuff, even if it wasn't what you wanted to find. And, you know more about how your detector behaves, and you cleared out some junk (and a couple of junk sites, maybe)

I figure, that's one yuck day that's outa the way - and one less yuck day until you find the really fun stuff. (At least that's what I keep telling myself ;D )

That hinge thingy is cool - wonder what it was originally attached to...

better luck next time, hang in there
Nan

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah the hinge thing that i found was at the site of where the mystery railraod depot was, it almost looks from the size and the weight maybe the door to an old wood stove but i could be wrong. ::)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I usually throw in the towel if things do not seem like they are going to turn...10 hours...wow!

REH

Aug 16, 2007
Chiilcothe, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Your doing fine. I just got back into the hobby I use a whites prizm II and I, like you was digging just junk and in all the wrong spots. It's taken me a little while but I'm learning my machine and getting to know the signals and what's in the ground. It's a lot more pleasurable the last few weeks getting out. Now I'm learning where to go. Still got a lot to learn but I'm not in any hurry. I"M UNEMPLOYEED so I get out a lot. Hang in there

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went out this morning at 5:30 a.m. sun wasnt even up yet and just got back about a 45 min ago so my wife was resonably pissed since she came along and said that my detector must be broken since i didnt find anything good. oh well :-\

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
You have some coins there plus a lot of junk, obviously you're
picking the stuff up. Not every cloud has a silver lining. I started
MD'ing 25 years ago but only played around with it a few months then didn't touch it for years. About 2 years ago, I came back for
good & am now fairly serious about it. I've picked up some silver,
some cheap jewelry, but nothing older than 1920 & no gold coins.
But for me the thrill is in the hunt, I don't think too many of us
plan on getting rich doing this. We hope for a nice find but none
of us will bet on it. I'm still learning my detector & getting better.
Stick with it, go out with someone experienced, learn your machine.
Good luck & keep it swingin. Nice pics by the way.

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Don;t dispair my first year I had lots of wasted days or so I thought.Truth is it was really just going through the learning curve.Second year I was way better at picking spots and knowing what signals were worth digging or leaving for the next guy.If ya wanna impress the wifey ....first find the good spot to hunt and make sure its productive..then bring her along.God Bless and HH..Panz

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! YOu have days like that, like I said in another post, a bad day of hunting is better that a good day at work.

Better luck next time.

HH, Ringfinder

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
learn you local history for yourself == older parks & swimming holes that have been used forever -- where the old local "fairgounds" were at every areas has a history of where folkss used to party at -- look at the modern ball feilds if the ladies have a softball league -- girls wear more "bling" then men --girl plays ball --running jumping diving girl loses bling -- Ivan

R

RUDY2003

Somedays the treasure hunter, somedays the garbage man....

Keep diggin'...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe,
I would not call it a waste. You found a few things and you can cross that site off your list for now. From what you were finding it sounds like a depot may have been there. It may pay to go back once you have more experience with a smaller search coil that would help see through all the junk.

I usually start my hunts with a new site. That way it if produces I stay the day if not I go to an old reliable site where I usually turn up at least one keeper. My test site Yesterday only turn up clad and one of those adult 'tails you lose heads I win' tokens.

That is the great thing about this hobby you just never know and it gets you out of the house.

Happy hunting

NJ

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Don't sweat it,
I just got my uber-expensive excalibur 1000 detector in June this summer and I have yet to find any gold.
I have had a couple of days where I got skunked and but good! Ask my girlfriend, she laughs and says I go out for many hours and try sooo hard that she even feels bad for me, lol.
But, I have begun to learn about my detector, I am learning where to go and what I am looking to find.
After all, it's only a hobby ;)

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
eh, fecal matter happens...
i've had days like that too. when it starts to look like a bad day, head for a tot lot and get some instant clad satisfaction!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Never a waste, just keep digging and advancing.

HH and thanks for sharing.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Sadly given the way our society has declined you will find trash just about everywhere you go. But you didn't waste your time. You got out and got to swing your detector and you did find some stuff. So what if it wasn't a lot. I haven't been able to hunt in 5 days, I would love to go out and find what you did, but my WIFE would NEVER EVER NEVER let me go for 10 hours.

Keep going and remember they can't all be good days. :)

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can see the upside, you are all right i did find some stuff, and i did find the button and the door plate thing. and being out for 10 hours, that's why i had to bring the wife along. she brought the dog so she had someone to hang out with while i ignored her. that's what she said. :D I'm actually thinking about skipping out early from work today to hit an old stone house i drove past yesterday. I'm not sure if its fenced off or not. i will have to see. thanks for your post guys.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing your probably doing wrong is:

Looking on Tnet & thinking your find this sort of stuff right away.

It seems from your post that this MDing is winding you up! Its meant to be fun & help you unwind from a hard days work. Keep at it & chill & the finds will come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread