Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One site I have been hunting for almost two years has yielded numerous pre-1900 and some pre-1800 coins. At just under 150 acres, there are about 10 acres fenced pasture for goats and sheep; this is inaccessible for detecting. Another 10 acres or so is dedicated to office space, greenhouses, barns and horse ring. Much of the land is under crops at present and off limits for detecting until winter.

What remains to detect at present are mowed grass strips around field perimeters. The site does not yield many coins.

Prior to this evening's hunt I had found an 1869 shield nickel on the eastern half of the property on 7/7/18. It rang up a 12 strong mid-tone on the Equinox 600. Today I got another of those strong 12s and again, at a depth less than 4 inches, another shield nickel. That is back-to-back shields from this property.

IMG_6558.JPG IMG_6561.JPG This one appears to be an 1868.

I kept hunting the same field edge and about 21 paces further along I got an consistent 28-31 high-tone which turned out to be a copper, not sure if it's British or a State coin, but enough detail remains to show an obverse with right-facing figure and Britannia on the reverse.

IMG_6568.JPG IMG_6567.JPG

Upvote 28

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the Shield Nickel and other finds. The Shield Nickel was on my bucket list for years and I got one the year with rays and you have 2!! Congratulations again

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Truth1253 and congrats on finding that early shield. This is a pretty clean property, so if it's not a good target it's a square nail. Think I dug about a dozen of them today. :)

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shield and copper!:icon_thumleft: Looks like nickels come out of the ground pretty good where you are.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Truth1253 and congrats on finding that early shield. This is a pretty clean property, so if it's not a good target it's a square nail. Think I dug about a dozen of them today. :)

I dig tons I know what you mean.

Oh and don’t clean it I actually ruined it. If I showed you the before and after you’d cry [emoji24]

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Super finds.Congrats. :icon_thumright:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I wanna hunt there with you.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats McCDig, those are some awesome saves!!! I agree with Truth, When I first started detecting some years back, I recovered my first V-Nickle at "City Park" in New Orleans. One of the guys that was there hunting with us told me to put in mustard to clean it, so being new and considering him an experienced hunter and believing he was a good feller, I went home and did just what he told me to do... yep you guessed it, that darn yellow mustard dissolved my first ever V-Nickle!!! :sad10: Needless to say, I never asked that feller for anymore advice!!! Now I just clean them as best as I can with a little water and very soft bristled tooth brush... Once again, Congrats!!! "D"

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves, and glad you didn't go the mustard or vinegar route on the V. Your copper is a late date King George I halfpenny, most likely in the 1717-1724 range. Great save on that one!

John

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks John! Yes, I've wrecked more than a few, but am now a minimalist when it comes to finds - no liquids, light scraping, and a little skin oil.

Here's a comparison I did this AM on the KGI.

KGI_compare.jpg

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats McCDig, those are some awesome saves!!! I agree with Truth, When I first started detecting some years back, I recovered my first V-Nickle at "City Park" in New Orleans. One of the guys that was there hunting with us told me to put in mustard to clean it, so being new and considering him an experienced hunter and believing he was a good feller, I went home and did just what he told me to do... yep you guessed it, that darn yellow mustard dissolved my first ever V-Nickle!!! :sad10: Needless to say, I never asked that feller for anymore advice!!! Now I just clean them as best as I can with a little water and very soft bristled tooth brush... Once again, Congrats!!! "D"

Oh no! It is actually ketchup I have heard many people say will help clean nickles. Definitely not Mustard..

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Rubka888 for helping with the condiment issue. Seems the consensus is that mustard and ketchup are best used on burgers and hotdogs.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx washingtonian! This is one of about six pre-1800 coins from this site. Thought it was settled in 1830 but now that I found this old British copper it may have earlier activity.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Trezurehunter! After finding the secons coin I called my wife and asked if I had leeway to hunt another 40 minutes. :)

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks "D"! Yes, the less the better it seems. I did have one copper that the accretions on it would not yielded to anything. Perhaps electrolysis would have worked, however, I ended up usig a fine grit sandpaper on both sides to basically grind through the buildup and it worked. I took away everything down to the high relief points and it was an answer in helping me to identify the coin. It turned out to be a 1760 Voce Populi coin from Dublin.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Hawks! Pretty crazy to think how many years that copper was just lying there as the land was farmed. It lay about 6 feet from the edge of a corn field.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad! Sure, if you want to head down here in the Fall we can hit one or two sites in the city. You could hunt under my permit. The site where these coins came from is in the county and you'd have to apply for your own Baltimore County permit. Details on how to obtain that permit are found on our Club's website: Maryland Free State Treasure Club. Let me know if you have any difficulty with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread