rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom....
If ya still have all 11.....it would be very very cool......to see ALL of em together in one photo....can you do that for us..so we can drool a little longer !!!

HH to all

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Crocop, I was using an Explorer II. On this hunt, I had my 8" coil on. But the machine didn't have much to do with it. The coin was only 2 or 3" deep. It was more a matter of where I was hunting ;D Also speed of target retreival is important. There were 3 of us on this particular hunt: 2 of us were swinging Explorers, and the 3rd guy was swinging a DFX. At the end of the hunt, the 2 of us that were swinging Explorers had about 40 period targets each (green copper, pistol balls, buttons, etc...) The guy swinging the DFX had only about 10 or 12 period targets. I attribute that partly to the machine (I consider the DFX a very lacking machine in depth, TID, etc... but that's just my opinion after experimenting with it when it was first introduced), and partly to his lack of having a pinpointer. For example: Sometimes I'd see him stopping to dig a target, while I was still wandering around. Then I'd get a signal, drop to dig it, then stand back up to resume hunting. I'd look over, and the DFX guy would STILL be hunting around in his hole, waving handfuls of dirt in front of his coil, etc... So clearly, the faster you dig/retreive, the more targets you'll have at the end of your hunt, leading to increased potential to have a goodie in your target count. They do sell probes for the DFX, but I still think we'd have whooped the DFX even with a probe :) (but detector wars are for another thread, haha).

Thanx for all the compliments guys and gals! Someday I'll do a group shot of all 11 and post them. For some reason, gold coins are more common finds on the west coast, verses the mid-states and east coast. I know of quite a few guys who have found 1, 2 or 3 gold coins here, that aren't even hard-core hunters. For some reason, they just circulated more out in the west. Still hard to find though, don't get me wrong :)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, get us all greased up and then don't show us those beauties :-\ :-\ I guess we will have to wait ;)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Tom_in_CA said:
Crocop, I was using an Explorer II. On this hunt, I had my 8" coil on. But the machine didn't have much to do with it. The coin was only 2 or 3" deep. It was more a matter of where I was hunting ;D Also speed of target retreival is important. There were 3 of us on this particular hunt: 2 of us were swinging Explorers, and the 3rd guy was swinging a DFX. At the end of the hunt, the 2 of us that were swinging Explorers had about 40 period targets each (green copper, pistol balls, buttons, etc...) The guy swinging the DFX had only about 10 or 12 period targets. I attribute that partly to the machine (I consider the DFX a very lacking machine in depth, TID, etc... but that's just my opinion after experimenting with it when it was first introduced), and partly to his lack of having a pinpointer. For example: Sometimes I'd see him stopping to dig a target, while I was still wandering around. Then I'd get a signal, drop to dig it, then stand back up to resume hunting. I'd look over, and the DFX guy would STILL be hunting around in his hole, waving handfuls of dirt in front of his coil, etc... So clearly, the faster you dig/retreive, the more targets you'll have at the end of your hunt, leading to increased potential to have a goodie in your target count. They do sell probes for the DFX, but I still think we'd have whooped the DFX even with a probe :) (but detector wars are for another thread, haha).

Thanx for all the compliments guys and gals! Someday I'll do a group shot of all 11 and post them. For some reason, gold coins are more common finds on the west coast, verses the mid-states and east coast. I know of quite a few guys who have found 1, 2 or 3 gold coins here, that aren't even hard-core hunters. For some reason, they just circulated more out in the west. Still hard to find though, don't get me wrong :)

That is very true about speedy recovery of targets...but, be careful when you are digging, you may deck a gold coin. LOL

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
great finds man! I still have the ACE250, is it possible to find something like this with the ACE? I need to get a Whites or Explorer...or better yet the detector you have!! Did you dig a lot of trash before you dug this coin? Where did you do the research for the site? Did you find it under trash or near an obvious spot? I just want every detail I can get so I can find one of these bad boys!

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say a Fine-20 b/c of the clean scratch marks all over the obverse and reverse greysheet has it at a Fine condition for 879.00 bid and 890.00 ask but still an awsome find wish I could find just one

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's just gorgeous..I think my heart would stop if I found one of those.

Nat

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
HappyMikeyOne: I found it in the ground :-*

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
I am also a CA hunter.. Northern... I am having a hard enough time finding the silver let alone the gold.. I dream of the day when i dig my first gold coin.. seems to be the holy grail for me..

What part of CA are you in? beach erosion huh?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fd3615, I am in Salinas. But that isn't where I found this particular gold coin though. But, we'll say it was "in the tri-county area" ;D The beaches I hunt are Monterey Bay beaches. Join us on the California "Kinzli forum" (a forum specific for CA hunters). Yes, finding a gold coin is the "holy grail" of the hobby. Even though there are lots of silver coins that .... given a good date and mint mark, could easily be worth more than a gold coin, yet I think I'd rather find the gold ones :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread