11th Gold coin found. Grade please.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Got my 11th gold coin last week. The site where this came from has turned up spanish reales back to the 1750's for us.

Any numismatic buffs care to venture a grade? The reverse seems to be a nicer strike, while the front isn't quite as crisp (weak strike/die?). So what would the net grade be?

thanx!

Attachments

• 9-07 040.jpg
    9-07 040.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10,231
  • 9-07 043.jpg
    9-07 043.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10,070
Upvote 3

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Looking at the Brown and Dunn book right now- It looks to be EF. With only 58,000 minted it has a Red Book value of $1100

Very nice find! :)

What detector were you using and how did it ring up?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanx Jeffro. Another friend of mine surmised the same grade. He says that in a case where a coin has a mix (one side better than the other, or a scratch or whatever), that they are given a "net grade" or a grade with a notation on top of it, etc.... It was found with an Explorer II, and 8" coil.

$5 golds read about square tab - that is, the thicker variety of square tab. There are a few variations of square tabs, depending on which soft drink company. On a Whites scale (XLT for instance) $5 gold reads at about 47, which is the higher end of where square tabs reach. I've found other varieties of square tab to be in the mid 30s on the Whites scale. On the Explorer screen (the cross-hairs screen), that would about dead center on the up/down axis, and in the mid to right hand side, on the left/right axis.

Any other coin buffs out there for a grade opinion?

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You rock man.

Attachments

• 2.4.gif
    2.4.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 10,602

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
WOW, excellent! Some of us would be happy with finding 1 gold coin. I am sure it's an addiction once you get one.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite simply, Super.
I agree XF.

Ken

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx all for the kind comments. Plenbah, it was a land find. I've found 3 of my 11 gold coins after storms erode our beaches, and the rest came from land sites (ruins, stage stop, old-town demolitions, etc....)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That is a beautiful find! I'm drooling into my keyboard this very second! And you've found 11! I'll have to visit the rankings and see where Kirk has you ;D.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
halfdime said:
That is a beautiful find! I'm drooling into my keyboard this very second! And you've found 11! I'll have to visit the rankings and see where Kirk has you ;D.

Tune in next week. That coin is XF-AU!

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Half-dime, what "rankings"? "Kirk"? Sorry, I'm new to this forum. I always watch the "general" metal detecting forum, but have not been on this "finds" forum till now.

Kirk-PA: what happens "next week"?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say XF/AU details on the back, a little lower grade on the front. I think it was a weak strike on the front. The "L" in "Liberty" is the high point on the obverse. On your coin, it looks like the "R" has the most wear. I don't know how to explain that unless it was just a weak strike. If you were to have it graded, the slab would probably say "scratched" due to field cleaning. So you're probably looking at an XF net grade. Excellent gold! Would you be willing to tell us a little about your last 10 gold coin finds? Were they diving finds or dry land finds?

Regards,

Buckleboy

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the XF for the details grade. It looks to me though as if it has been pretty harshly cleaned. I think I am seeing lots of small scratches in the fields

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread