paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday was the last day before the hot weather came back so I resolved to hike out to a new cellar hole. It's a decent hike, at least 1 mile as the crow flies, and probably more like 1.5 accounting for natural obstacles. Occasionally trying to find a new cellar is a long, drawn-out process, but fortunately this time my instincts were correct and I found it more or less exactly where I thought it would be. I'm fairly sure it's either never been detected before, or it was done only partially because in most spots there were relics everywhere and plenty of good tones near the surface. The best find sounded like big iron, but turned out to be an extraordinary dig:

DSC08918.JPG DSC08919.JPG DSC08920.JPG DSC08921.JPG

A pewter plate! I can't say for sure it's colonial since there's no visible maker's mark and I think this homesite was built right after the War of 1812 wrapped up, but it definitely has some age. It was unfortunately already fragmented when I dug it up and I'm actually proud that I only nicked a few pieces during the extraction. If this had been crisscrossed with roots there would have been no hope of getting it out as delicate as it is. As it stands I have the majority of the pieces and I think it was a nearly complete plate when lost. I actually wouldn't have even known what it was except Scrappy posted about one he found in Maine last year. The question now is how best to conserve it. I've heard tell that if you heat pewter up you can bend it back without snapping it; is that still accurate on pewter as old as this?

The next best find was also pewter and something I never expected to pop out of a hole around here. A US infantry eagle button (1815-1821)!

DSC08928.JPG DSC08929.JPG DSC08931.JPG DSC08926.JPG

It's in phenomenal condition and the back mark is easily read if you can get the angle right. This one has "Eagle Factory" which I believe corresponds to Armitage, a Philadelphia firm. Not a lot of 1812 stuff turns up in this area and it's among the best preserved pewter buttons that I've found in this soil.

A ton of other buttons turned up, including one plain dandy.

DSC08923.JPG

In another first were the remains of brass scissors. I've found a fair number of iron ones, but this must have been a special pair to them.

DSC08934.JPG

I also found a beautiful half a cloak clasp. The chain was probably a little longer and there would have been another brass piece on the other side of the cloak that with a hook to hold the chain.

DSC08932.JPG DSC08933.JPG

There were a ton of other non-ferrous finds including a nice saddle shield, watch winder, suspenders buckle, and a few whatsits. The brass tube is the oddest piece and I'm curious if anyone knows what it is. The brass is quite thin and the bottom hole is threaded.

DSC08935.JPG DSC08939.JPG DSC08937.JPG

One other thing this site had was almost literal tons of iron. Fortunately it wasn't just annoying iron flashing bits, but nice iron relics. I had to leave the heavier stuff like axe heads, and scythes, but I did hike out the more unusual ones including a complete stirrup!

DSC08941.JPG

I had only found three before this, but now I have a fourth. The hammer is also super cool and half a pair of wool shears is not something I come across often.

Oddly I didn't find a single coin at this site despite the multitude of targets. This is an extensive homesite so it may be that I need to search the further corners and clear out some more of the large iron, but I can't image that they didn't loose any coinage. Once it cools down I'll be returning, but for now that was a great first pass!

Last edited:
Upvote 13
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Beauty of a button and other relics.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That's a really nice button. :icon_thumleft: Hope someone knows what that brass piece is. Looks pretty cool.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a great haul right there. You’re right, gotta be some coins around there.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take the stirrup over anything else you found! Finding a 250 year old iron relic in nice shape is a rarity. It really pays to dig those iron signals!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread