Steel, or Iron Fishing Rod???

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
This is another first for me... I was at the bottom of our local Soap-box Derby Hill and found this steel, or iron fishing rod...
I thought at first, because of? where I was at, that I had found an old Soap box derby axle, but that was not the case. The end that goes into another piece of the rod, where the reel would be, on a two piece rod is made of brass. All the rest of the rod looks to be either Iron, or Steel. It's about 4' foot long and has all the eyes except for the one on the end...The end that goes into the other part is about a half inch wide, and it tapers down to about an eighth of an inch...
Anyone have a clue as to the age of this? I have never even heard of a metal fishing rod, let alone see one...
I did a quick search, but didn't find anything except for a newer deep sea fishing rod that was made from steel.
Also found my second IH today at only 4" down. It's a 1906...
The pole is so unusual to me I stuck it in my wall... ;D

Attachments

• IronPole.JPG
    IronPole.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Probably late 40's early 50's.They were what everyone used,except the money guys who could afford bamboo.The next generation rod was the 'glass'.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Yep, memories die hard except for the new ones. Dad has an old steel rod with a Pfleuger bait cast reel on it. Tried it when I was young- more back lashes than I care to count.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
I have my dads steel rod with shakespeare president reel from about 1950, works like new ! fiberglas rods came on market in early 50s . My first fiberglas rod from 1953 was stolen just a few years ago . went through many reels but rod was still good . Fiberglas still best rod material . New rods too stiff to cast. Takes both hands and long reel handle , and full arm swing . With fiberglas just flick your wrist !!!!!! Todays fisherman grew up with these stiff non flexing rods and do not know any better . And........what the heck has all this to do with mding ?

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks for the replies all. I had it aged a littile older then that from the looks of it, but like I said, if I ever even heard about steel rods it's been so long ago I've forgotten about it... It looks to be made of the old wrought iron, I was thinking somewhere around the 1900's to 1920's. oh well, it still an interesting pieces. And I've already stuck it on the wall... ;D
Good Luck to all,,, Happy Hunting~

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. I never heard of one Either.

COOL FIND

J E F F