Beautiful Complete Colonial Shoe Buckle And My First Flying Eagle Cent!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to go metal detecting this afternoon, first going to a new cellar hole I found. I found nothing at the cellar hole, but right next to where I parked, on the entrance of an old abandoned road, I dug an 1857 Flying Eagle cent! At first I thought it was a button, until I saw the wreath on the back that is only on the Flying Eagle cents. Last week at another site I also found nothing at a cellar hole, but then found a Mercury dime right near the parking lot on an old road. I then decided to go to another cellar hole I have been to before that was close by, where I found 2 Indian Head cents in one day earlier this year. I started metal detecting along the old stone wall next to the cellar hole and got a loud 84 on my T2. I dug over 8 inches, and pulled out a beautiful complete shoe buckle, with a beautiful design on it. A couple feet away from it I dug a huge 1800's spoon, that is probably close to a foot long. It looks to have been turned into a spatula type tool, with a completely flat bowl with two bent edges. It had a nice greenish patina when I first dug it, shown in the last photo, but it unfortunately most of it dried up and flaked away before I got home. It seems to have cleaned up nice though anyway.
DSC_0459.JPG DSC_0433.JPG DSC_0425.JPG DSC_0460.JPG DSC_0408.JPG 20180902_172027.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 24

RelicMaster777

Jul 8, 2018
Gold Cost Long Island n.y. Fema region II
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Equinox 800
Equinox600
Makro Multi Kruzer
Garret ATpro
Garret ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Coinman. Love that buckle, Nice. Nice looking flying eagle too. I have dug only one and all you can see is a faint shadow of the eagle.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't beat that combo :occasion14: Nice Dig's!!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great buckle

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful buckle! :occasion14:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle and eagle cent. I have only found one of those eagles as well, but I did find an 1851 style union eagle plate about 20 feet away from it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: Great looking buckle.

Top Member Reactions