A Big First For Me, Confederate Snake Buckle!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out looking to get permission on a big yard that is around some Civil War action. The little lady that owns the place was pretty upset that she has caught guys sneaking on and digging and she just wasn't going to allow anyone to hunt it. It's pretty sad that this goes on and hurts the guys that do the right thing. She is a very sweet lady and took my name and number so maybe she will give me a chance. I spent a lot of my time talking to her and didn't have much time left to detect. I rode over to a spot that I've hunted before but the main areas are developed over so I just work the edges in hopes of some original ground. I worked my way down a grown over fence line and was only getting trash and clad. I was almost to the back corner when I got a nice signal with some good depth. I dug my plug and scooped out some of the loose soil when I saw what I thought was a J hook, as I pulled it up I quickly saw that it was a snake buckle! I set it back down and just stared in disbelief. I know that these buckle were worn by guys on both sides but it seems the Rebels had them more and this area is directly on the Confederate lines. I took a bunch of pics of it there in the dirt and continued to half way hunt some more but all I could think of was that buckle and hoping to find the other side somewhere around close. I found a nice dropped Enfield but not much more along that spot. I moved down some and found a couple of Williams cleaners and Minies along with some fired lead. Needless to say I drove home with a big smile on my face and it hasn't gone away since. Even though I was bummed out about not getting on one property it lined up for me to make one awesome find to add to the collection. HH-David

ltIU4nd.jpg
HBESsjO.jpg

Upvote 51
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!!!! I am just starting to hunt CW sites here in GA. I will put that on my bucket list.

Thanks! Lots of great history in GA. Good luck to ya, you will be crossing nice relics off that list!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell Yes, Dave! The closest I've ever come was the other piece (non-snake side). Looked and looked for the snake and other loop and never could find it.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell Yes, Dave! The closest I've ever come was the other piece (non-snake side). Looked and looked for the snake and other loop and never could find it.

Thanks BuckleBoy! I hope you find the other side one day and I can find the loop side to complete them. Good luck to ya!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScoperDave got the Best side of the buckle , I hope both of y'all find the other lost parts .

As for age 'IMO' SD's is most likely a Civil War loss given the Enfield & the area it was found.

Such a Buckle is on my 'To Find list before The B.G.I.S.. , show time starts,

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScoperDave got the Best side of the buckle , I hope both of y'all find the other lost parts .

As for age 'IMO' SD's is most likely a Civil War loss given the Enfield & the area it was found.

Such a Buckle is on my 'To Find list before The B.G.I.S.. , show time starts,

Thanks Davers! I hope you dig one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread