30 Minute Hunt At An Untouched Cellar Hole Abandoned 200 Years Ago!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally was able to get out and metal detect at a cellar hole I found a few days ago while researching. I told my mom I would take her to the next cellar hole I go to, as she has been asking to go metal detecting with me for around a year. It was a half an hour drive for her to the place, and around .2 miles in the woods behind a nearby school (which I carefully mapped out the easiest way to get there). While walking to the place, the first thing we noticed was that in the bottom of a huge valley was a rather large river with a stone wall built up very high on the edge of it, around 20 feet long. On the other side of the valley, on the side of the huge hill was the cellar hole. In front of it was an extremely old road lined by stone walls, that like the cellar hole, didn't appear on a single map dating as far back as the 1850's. The road continued the other way past the cellar hole down near the way I came. I had to be home by 7, so I only had half an hour there, but decided to make the best of it. Within a minute of turning on my metal detector I got a signal on the edge of the cellar hole, and dug a fragment of a very ornate colonial shoe buckle frame. Less than 3 feet away I dug a complete colonial octagonal cuff link with a nice floral pattern. My mom yelled out for help digging a signal, which ended up being a beautiful complete 1700's shoe buckle frame. I decided to go to the road next to cellar hole and dug two colonial buttons, and also a musket ball which was right next to the road. There was very little iron at this cellar hole, and almost no trash or interference, making the metal detector extremely quiet, even on the edge of the actual cellar hole. My junk finds from the day were a big 1870's rim fire bullet casing, and what looks like a lead shotgun slug embedded in wood. I am looking very forward to coming back here for a longer hunt, and am happy to finally have a good cellar hole to go to. It has been getting extremely hard to find a cellar hole that is not either completely full of trash, hunted out, or just empty in general for some reason. Finding a cellar hole that was abandoned in the 1700's or early 1800's has also been a fairly hard thing for me to do, but normally they are the best type of cellar hole for colonial era finds.

DSC_0488.JPG

Upvote 23
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Next time could you snap some pics of the surroundings? Love the old cellar pictures.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a dump truck haul all the dirt and cellar and dump it in my driveway and sift lol wow great finds I wish I could find something like that

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found pretty much that same buckle last week. Probably mid 1700s. Never found a complete link button pair myself. Congrats

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Next time could you snap some pics of the surroundings? Love the old cellar pictures.

Thanks! I will definitely make sure to get some photos next weekend when I go back there, and when the leaves start to change in a month or so I will probably be able to get some really nice ones of it and the road leading directly to it.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found pretty much that same buckle last week. Probably mid 1700s

Thanks, I guess that it's a little bit older than I what thought, my mom will be happy to know! I guess that and my other finds would probably put the cellar hole as being from the mid 1700's. It's hard to say right now when it was abandoned, but I would probably guess around 1800 or so.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done!
HH