Quick trip yields me another big silver and another padlock!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guy my short trips seems to be my best. With my 6” coil on the 800 my first hole was a 1934 Quarter 7” deep, 2 wheats 34 and 55 then shortly after I hit this heart shaped padlock at least 10” down!!! The sides have rivets all the way around it’s beautiful. I’ve been hunting for 5 years and this is my 2nd antique padlock this month at two separate locations. Incredible....I love padlocks. Any suggestions? I did electrolysis on my other one. I might just want to try to clean this brass to make out the makers mark. What do you think? IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice padlock and silver

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver. I love the look of that lock. Great save. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mineral oil I hear works well. I have a similar lock I need to do the same with. Nice finds my friend keep em coming!!!!!!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That padlock is a great find, the iron looks pretty solid so it ought to respond well to cleaning if you choose to do so. On something like that I would personally "sculpt" the rust with a metal file and sandpaper, knocking down the bumps and irregularities and cleaning up the crevices and features etc., but not file down to bare metal. It takes some effort but brings-out the original smooth form of an item without the ugly pitting that would appear if all rust was removed.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That padlock is a great find, the iron looks pretty solid so it ought to respond well to cleaning if you choose to do so. On something like that I would personally "sculpt" the rust with a metal file and sandpaper, knocking down the bumps and irregularities and cleaning up the crevices and features etc., but not file down to bare metal. It takes some effort but brings-out the original smooth form of an item without the ugly pitting that would appear if all rust was removed.

I’ve learned cleaning rusted items takes ALOT of work!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool relic! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it for a day or 2 rinse repeat There is a really good cleaning forum on here you will go bananas with all the cleaning methods and which to choose lol

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem Let us see it when your done that's a sweet relic

NOLA.river.rat

Apr 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! You are on killing it Truth! The quality and craftsmanship of old padlocks are amazing. Congrats!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also heard of guys soaking and scrubbing items in a mixture of molasis(I keep spelling it wrong, but you know what I mean.:laughing7:) I've never tried it personally, but may be something to check out. I guess it eats the iron oxide. I've seen it mentioned a bunch in the pinball forums when guys are restoring crusty parts. From their pics it looks like it works pretty well on really heavy rust.

Cool finds! And no..I'm one of those people that can't just let things alone, I'd have to mess with the lock...It would be teasing me if I tried to let it sit as is.:laughing7:

Here's one of many if you've never seen what it does. I've seen pics of it coming out like new metal, but that can take a long time and a few tries.

https://www.christinedemerchant.com/molasses-rust-removal.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread