South Carolina Confederate Waist Plate & CSA Cuff Button

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend in Georgia found these two beauties in the same area. Didnā€™t know what they were until he cleaned them. Yee haw!! These were dug by Relichunter_71

FB936EEB-40EA-4142-9D21-9FE9F00ED3C8.jpeg
39861437-8D9D-4EE3-9E94-5DC2464CAFA5.jpeg
B0FC22EF-57AC-4F07-B0DB-A265740CEC49.jpeg
D6FBE511-3B1E-4AC4-AB0E-A8B1D3337D67.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 60
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you joined the same day as the post, back to no chance again......oh well its an amazing piece.

Actually, relichunter71 joined on the 10th, itā€™s on his profile. I posted this on the 12th just after he texted me. Heā€™s a newbie guys... cut him some slack. No need for a nomination hassle, his finds are amazing and weā€™ll all enjoy them now because he finally joined. Dig ā€˜TIL it hurts! šŸ˜‰

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, relichunter71 joined on the 10th, itā€™s on his profile. I posted this on the 12th just after he texted me. Heā€™s a newbie guys... cut him some slack. No need for a nomination hassle, his finds are amazing and weā€™ll all enjoy them now because he finally joined. Dig ā€˜TIL it hurts! ļ˜‰
No worries, its not about hassle or slack, its about the rules. Its states newbies can't get banner, although this has been proved to be wrong, so you never know. I would have liked to see it there, but rules is rules, & time will tell if they break their own.:thumbsup:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/438336-banners-how-they-work.html

''New Members are not Eligible for banner . if your find & your membership are within 90 Days of each other, we reserve the right to say No. too soon.
we want to be sure Members are signing up here to share & not because someone told them If they sign up quick, They can get their find on our Banner. Sorry !''

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries, its not about hassle or slack, its about the rules. Its states newbies can't get banner, although this has been proved to be wrong, so you never know. I would have liked to see it there, but rules is rules, & time will tell if they break their own.:thumbsup:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/438336-banners-how-they-work.html

''New Members are not Eligible for banner . if your find & your membership are within 90 Days of each other, we reserve the right to say No. too soon.
we want to be sure Members are signing up here to share & not because someone told them If they sign up quick, They can get their find on our Banner. Sorry !''

Absolutely! Gotta keep it clean. ; )

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What book because the one that I sent you has the South Carolina belt plate right next to it and yours matches the Florida plate exactly? The South Caroline plate has a different border and tree but if you say so!
Okay, TNDirtdigger & Davers weā€™re going to solve this little mystery. Relichunter71 is going to send me the cover of his book. If you could do the same that would be great. Apparently yours say Florida and his says SC. Head scratcher ļæ½ļæ½

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, TNDirtdigger & Davers weā€™re going to solve this little mystery. Relichunter71 is going to send me the cover of his book. If you could do the same that would be great. Apparently yours say Florida and his says SC. Head scratcher ļæ½ļæ½
Lots of books have mistakes in them, its our job to work out what they are.:thumbsup:

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Steve E. Mullinax book "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates" lists it as a South Carolina with a rarity of 8+ . It says it's an early war plate manufactured in the South. Full fledged 100% Confederate when it's war time manufacture, not prewar like lots of state plates, which could or could not have been actually used during the war. Wow!

I may very well be mistaken. I just haven't seen that particular plate as a South Carolina plate but it most definitely could be. That why I was hoping to get an expert to chime in and make a positive ID. Looks like Worm-Slicer found it in the Mullinax book. Can you post a photo of the page in the book that shows it so we can all see it? There are definitely mistakes in several of the books out there.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this link that does show it as a South Carolina plate so I will stand corrected relichunter71! Either way it is a rare find and congrats! The Ridgeway Civil War collection Buckles issued by South Carolina....DRAFT.....

I agree Crusaderā€” reference books are only as good as their researchers. I live close to the Library of Congress and The National Archivesā€” both have extensive amounts of Civil War material but finding what weā€™re looking for is not easy. Eventually Iā€™ll go up there but an initial web search only brought me a few nuggets.

From Library of Congress
4C2E67FE-2E91-4E90-91A2-F7D0C197A51D.jpeg
CC0BD24D-F49B-4884-BEC7-3005B5704541.jpeg

North Carolina soldier in a South Carolina uniform
ED439AAC-98A4-4913-B8BE-1EF06E8E4650.png

Book from Relichunter71
68F57324-6181-4407-AA72-FEEDA99A4159.jpeg
438D5AEC-C8A4-41D6-89DB-8F1717DC5464.jpeg

Iā€™m intrigued to say the least. And like TNdirtdigger said, rate find.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thatā€™s a super cool piece of history. Love seeing this stuff and glad itā€™s been saved for future generations to enjoy.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At any rate, from either State, there's no debate that's one great plate!

Welcome, and congratulations!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just saying .
I never said it was a Florida plate , I thought SC when I first saw it.

If Mr , Mullinax says SC, I tend to believe him .

+ I have dug only a US Box , & Plan Face Militia in my 20 years , so I don't own a plate Book , I barely justified myself buying a Button book. lol
If it was a FL Plate that would be just as nice or nicer imo . (i'd freak to dig a SC , FL , US Breast Plate) Sooooo.
Now I trust it's a Banner SC Plate.
No hard feelings .
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worried about a banner got a plate in less then 4 years of detecting ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½

& 14 Confederate Buttons ..WOW ,+ Why I think yr digging in the Savannah or SE part of the State.

I dream of such relics (other than the Button ) are still laying in the Developed Atlanta area.

If it was dug around Atlanta , that would give me more hope.

You got some 'Hella' Good sites.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1632497 Some of my button finds!

"Less than 4 years of detecting". WOW! Maybe in the 1960' s or 70's lol

That's an amazing feat these days.

Heck It took 20 years for me to find my 1 & only GA button.

I love the look of the CSA to the right of the SC button.
WOW!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread