South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this token at an old cellar hole I have been pounding, somehow missed this one.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881161.232512.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881171.487370.jpg
Tokens with dates are cool, 1935 not too old, but Washington State? Found in PA.

Hit another cellar trying out some “sifting” advice, lower power to 18, Field2, leave iron horseshoe on but low tone and try to squeak out a mid or high tone. Found these 2 complete suspender buckles and also the overall button and toasty IHP with this method at a site I have gone over a dozen times.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881407.239627.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881682.445463.jpg

Found a pretty cool religious pendant and a brass ring with designs at a park.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881521.132298.jpg

My wife actually found this whiskey bottle at our local park after a storm. I find these broken brown bottles at about every one of my sites, but this is the first intact one. Yeah wife!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881629.669450.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881638.852018.jpg

Here is the handful.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536881658.770056.jpg

Actually, the piece that intrigues me the most is the 3.2 oz piece of lead. Seems intentionally cast, but no markings. Found over a foot deep at my oldest site in the remnants of an apple orchard.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 20

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey, you've done great. What's the date on the token?1935? Nice other finds.:icon_thumright:

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
Great finds .
Like the tax token and cross .:icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I would love to find stuff like that

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning pa-dirt, I live in an area whose sole business was apple products. The orchardists routinely and repetitively used both lead and arsenic compounds to alleviate underground pests like moles. voles and many other species of underground threats. My wife had a young vet in her practice that bought a house in an old orchard development, that I'd known for years. We were invited to her home for a Christmas function and a day or so before they're two dogs were found dead in the yard, with foam at their mouths. They're two girls were about ready to start exploring in the yard. I asked her if she'd had the dogs autopsied? She said "No, why?" I told her that a friend's family owned an orchard just a few miles away and of the same vintage. The year before, they'd turned out a hundred hogs to root beneath the trees and ferret out the rodent pests. In a week, all were dead of lead/ arsenic poisoning.

Please check the history of the property. Please have the soil evaluated! And please have a medical exam for toxins. If not you're taking a Hell of a chance!

Best wishes

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Warning pa-dirt, I live in an area whose sole business was apple products. The orchardists routinely and repetitively used both lead and arsenic compounds to alleviate underground pests like moles. voles and many other species of underground threats. My wife had a young vet in her practice that bought a house in an old orchard development, that I'd known for years. We were invited to her home for a Christmas function and a day or so before they're two dogs were found dead in the yard, with foam at their mouths. They're two girls were about ready to start exploring in the yard. I asked her if she'd had the dogs autopsied? She said "No, why?" I told her that a friend's family owned an orchard just a few miles away and of the same vintage. The year before, they'd turned out a hundred hogs to root beneath the trees and ferret out the rodent pests. In a week, all were dead of lead/ arsenic poisoning.

Please check the history of the property. Please have the soil evaluated! And please have a medical exam for toxins. If not you're taking a Hell of a chance!

Best wishes

Thanks for the warning. I spent a morning at a permission (1800’s farmstead in W PA) last month and every hole had fragments of glass. The current home owners had noticed this before and said it was done a century ago to help exterminate moles. Moles must have been a major problem in the 1800’s...

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Man that tax token is a long way from home!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft: Love the token

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your wife's whiskey bottle is from a historic local distillery in Westmoreland county. The bottle is 20th century though.

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting, I never thought about burying glass to keep the moles from burrowing up to the trees. They chew the bark off the roots and that kills the tree. I guess you might call that an organic method of pest control.
The arsenic thing is a real concern here as many farms and orchards have been turned into subdivisions.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your wife's whiskey bottle is from a historic local distillery in Westmoreland county. The bottle is 20th century though.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536930458.674650.jpg
I always thought the cork tops were older, but you are correct, found the bottle on the web, 1921. Thx

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to the Wife, & you had a great hunt up there.

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are great finds. I love digging these types of relics. I am definitely no expert but i have been digging bottles since i was a kid and the seam on the side of bottles can help you determine it's age. Sort of like a thermometer the higher the seam goes up the bottle the newer it probably is. The newer bottles will usually have a seam running all the way up to the opening. There are lots of other factors involved in determining a bottles age but this is a simple way.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are great finds. I love digging these types of relics. I am definitely no expert but i have been digging bottles since i was a kid and the seam on the side of bottles can help you determine it's age. Sort of like a thermometer the higher the seam goes up the bottle the newer it probably is. The newer bottles will usually have a seam running all the way up to the opening. There are lots of other factors involved in determining a bottles age but this is a simple way.
One glance at the bottom of that bottle tells you it is ABM. But your right, on pre ABM bottles the mold seam was erased when the hand tooled the lip or applied the lip as the case may be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread