Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all . It's been awhile since I've posted. Still hunting and finding lots of coppers and buttons but nothing too thrilling. Several years ago I posted my finds from a hunt that yielded a rev war Inimica Tyrannis button. Well several months ago I happened upon a map of the same area dated 1800. The site where the Tyrannis came from was on the map but so were several other sites I hadn't known about. Best thing was all the families who lived in this area were rev war veterans. So using my "secret method" of locating sites I determined where the site should be and as always these old maps are remarkably accurate.As is the case of the sites on this mountainside they are rectangular stacked stones with no dug out cellarhole. When I reached the site I liked the look of it ; besides a few shotgun shells no evidence of having been detected or messed with. So I did the usual search about 20 feet around the perimeter and to my amazement not a single sound not even any iron to speak of. Then I wondered if some hunter/detectorist had beaten me to the punch. So after a 3/4 mile uphill climb I was going to check out the entire site and about 25 feet from one corner of the foundation I found a pewter button. Then I began getting targets. Odd thing was all the finds from this site came from an area roughly 20' wide and 100' long. I found nothing outside this area even though it was easy to detect. Anyway it was a great old site probably abandoned by 1820 and it coughed up my first GW button in great shape , a neat silvered button and some nice Connecticut coppers. All in all a great hunt. My partner Max was however less than impressed. Now if I can only find that USA button.......

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 132
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 100
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Conn dirt.JPG
    Conn dirt.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 115
  • GW front.jpg
    GW front.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 107
  • GW back.JPG
    GW back.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 85
  • coin group.jpg
    coin group.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 111
  • obverse conn.jpg
    obverse conn.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 49

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! Great old coppers, love the eagle/frog copper. Looks like a place that holds much more...Ddf.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great hunt - Connecticut coppers and GW Inaugurals - Can't beat that :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
JACKPOT. Nice finds. 7f80786af39e1051e167796fe73d5dec.jpg

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all . It's been awhile since I've posted. Still hunting and finding lots of coppers and buttons but nothing too thrilling. Several years ago I posted my finds from a hunt that yielded a rev war Inimica Tyrannis button. Well several months ago I happened upon a map of the same area dated 1800. The site where the Tyrannis came from was on the map but so were several other sites I hadn't known about. Best thing was all the families who lived in this area were rev war veterans. So using my "secret method" of locating sites I determined where the site should be and as always these old maps are remarkably accurate.As is the case of the sites on this mountainside they are rectangular stacked stones with no dug out cellarhole. When I reached the site I liked the look of it ; besides a few shotgun shells no evidence of having been detected or messed with. So I did the usual search about 20 feet around the perimeter and to my amazement not a single sound not even any iron to speak of. Then I wondered if some hunter/detectorist had beaten me to the punch. So after a 3/4 mile uphill climb I was going to check out the entire site and about 25 feet from one corner of the foundation I found a pewter button. Then I began getting targets. Odd thing was all the finds from this site came from an area roughly 20' wide and 100' long. I found nothing outside this area even though it was easy to detect. Anyway it was a great old site probably abandoned by 1820 and it coughed up my first GW button in great shape , a neat silvered button and some nice Connecticut coppers. All in all a great hunt. My partner Max was however less than impressed. Now if I can only find that USA button.......
Great finds thanks for the true treasure hunting tale!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding hunt, congratulations! :notworthy:

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah we are a bit spoiled up here. The issue is I find all unhit sites are way off the beaten track. The site in my post was just in the middle of a mountainside , no tote roads , no walls , no nothing . Without finding the map I would not have walked that part of the mountainside ; just too inaccessible.Virgin sites are like hens teeth. So when you find one you gotta enjoy it. But you are right it is a fun region to hunt. MAGA

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...just another day digging in New England... Huge congrats on a beautiful GW- still trying to check that one off the list. Connecticut is just icing on the cake!

Yup the finds just jump out of the ground up here��

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Day !
Nice digs , "Living the Dream " with all that Rev War veteran real estate .
Hope you get a USA button .

CMD

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible hunt! Congrats on the coppers and GW button. I bet your dog is no longer white when you exit the woods, at least it’s easy to see ticks on a white dog (I have a white dog as well, but have never brought him into the woods to detect. I would spend more time tracking him down than detecting...). Congrats!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow great hunt with some awesome finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible hunt! Congrats on the coppers and GW button. I bet your dog is no longer white when you exit the woods, at least it’s easy to see ticks on a white dog (I have a white dog as well, but have never brought him into the woods to detect. I would spend more time tracking him down than detecting...). Congrats!

Thanks it was a fun hunt. Yeah gotta check me and him for ticks . Lyme is bad up here. Actually Max is good and stays with me. He likes the walk ; I like the company. A side benefit of him being with me is that more once I’ve been busy detecting and had curious bears walk up on me. Maxie keeps me informed.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RAYMOND!!!! Welcome to the GW club! That's a killer one too. Going to make a nice display on the wall. Gotta look at the Connecticuts. I'll probably be able to ID varieties on all 3. Call me.....I'll bring my book over. Put some coffee on!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt, I'd love to find one of those buttons. I'd be scared to hit the woods this time of year. I've seen too many friends and relatives get lymes, tricky disease to diagnose with some serious long term effects. I make my doctor check my blood work at least once a year for Lymes.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RAYMOND!!!! Welcome to the GW club! That's a killer one too. Going to make a nice display on the wall. Gotta look at the Connecticuts. I'll probably be able to ID varieties on all 3. Call me.....I'll bring my book over. Put some coffee on!
Thanks . Finally scored one . After finding so many big flat buttons finally one with the bird! See you soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread