🥇 BANNER My first gold coin! And it is Medieval hammered!

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,
I just got back from England and wanted to share a couple of finds. I was in a field not getting much and got a decent signal. Now up to this point I had dug a ton of old coins and buttons galore, but no outstanding finds that I was hoping these old fields would give up. I dig the hole and see a gold circle staring back at me. I am thinking this must be the foil top to a liquor bottle and pick it up. Nope. Knew right away that it was gold and it was old. I later found out that it was minted in 1412-13, the only years they minted them and that it was a Henry IV Quarter Nobel. Wow!!! I was so happythat I was on cloud 9 all morning. Still am! Later that same morning I get another coin that turned out to be a 1422-1428 Henry VI full groat and in great condition! So phyched!! Next day got a 1310 Edward I silver. Then my oldest coin with a date, a 1582 Elizabeth I. Through the week I got 160 buttons, 40 greenies/coppers, tons of bale seals, over 30 musket balls, military buttons, lead tokens, a canon ball from the 1640's Civil War, and so much more. It was a lot of digging and a lot of fun! Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• php6sPmz0AM.jpg
    php6sPmz0AM.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 938
  • php6ls0r9AM.jpg
    php6ls0r9AM.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 112
OP
OP
Rubka888

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on that beautiful gold coin

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a little bent probably from the plough but I am told there is a jewler that can straighten it perfectly with an annealing process. I think when I get it back, I am going to get it slabbed
I would straighten that myself as long as it showed no signs of cracking. Very easily done.

I'm not sure of the US obsession to slab things. Really a waste of money for a coin like this, & you can't touch it again. It 22ct (ish), so it won't get damaged by finger acids etc...(& you know its real)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back from England I wouldn't have left, I would have built a shack a still, and start gridding the whole Country side till I pillaged all the land. and the Queen tossed me out. Great finds Banner for sure

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on what looks like a trip of a lifetime and definitely some once in a lifetime finds. I've always dreamed of getting to go on one of the tours across the pond and hunt. I'm reaching a point where physically I'm probably not going to be able to go but I haven't given up hope yet. In the mean time I can live vicariously through folks like you who find some amazing history. Congrats again and thanks so much for sharing with us. My banner vote is going in.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Fantastic find! My vote is in (of course)

One question though. I thought all old gold like this had to be turned over to the crown and the finder is then given its cash value or purchase price from some museum if it's something spectacular.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Good one, A2!
That is an amazing find and makes me think I might need to get involved in a trip like that.

Congratulations on a banner find!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner all day long! Congratulations - WoW! :hello2:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG that is an awesome coin! Banner all the way! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One question though. I thought all old gold like this had to be turned over to the crown and the finder is then given its cash value or purchase price from some museum if it's something spectacular.
Not if I find it

OP
OP
Rubka888

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope. If 2 or more are found on the same field then it is decalred a "Hoard". The British Museum then looks at it and determines if they want to buy it and pay me market value for it, or it is disclaimed and I keep it. But for a lone gold find, it is mine. The only thing they can do is deny me an export license which means it can't leave the country but it would remain mine. Typically we pay the farmer for half the value of anything gold.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, 2 or more in close proximity count as treasure under the act & they have they right to buy them at market value. But 2 of these would probably be disclaimed & handed back anyways, depending on the local museums interest.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. If 2 or more are found on the same field then it is decalred a "Hoard". The British Museum then looks at it and determines if they want to buy it and pay me market value for it, or it is disclaimed and I keep it. But for a lone gold find, it is mine. The only thing they can do is deny me an export license which means it can't leave the country but it would remain mine. Typically we pay the farmer for half the value of anything gold.
The British Museum just write the report, its the local museums that are more likely to buy it. Unless it was local to London of course, or of national historical interest.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raise my hand. Banner. That’s a first for my eyes. Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I volunteer to validate your claims, send them asap

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread