๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER My first gold coin! And it is Medieval hammered!

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,
I just got back from England and wanted to share a couple of finds. I was in a field not getting much and got a decent signal. Now up to this point I had dug a ton of old coins and buttons galore, but no outstanding finds that I was hoping these old fields would give up. I dig the hole and see a gold circle staring back at me. I am thinking this must be the foil top to a liquor bottle and pick it up. Nope. Knew right away that it was gold and it was old. I later found out that it was minted in 1412-13, the only years they minted them and that it was a Henry IV Quarter Nobel. Wow!!! I was so happythat I was on cloud 9 all morning. Still am! Later that same morning I get another coin that turned out to be a 1422-1428 Henry VI full groat and in great condition! So phyched!! Next day got a 1310 Edward I silver. Then my oldest coin with a date, a 1582 Elizabeth I. Through the week I got 160 buttons, 40 greenies/coppers, tons of bale seals, over 30 musket balls, military buttons, lead tokens, a canon ball from the 1640's Civil War, and so much more. It was a lot of digging and a lot of fun! Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• php6sPmz0AM.jpg
    php6sPmz0AM.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 938
  • php6ls0r9AM.jpg
    php6ls0r9AM.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 112

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a spectacular find! As far as gold coins go, thatโ€™s about as good as it gets. Congrats on a banner find!

I went digging in England a couple of years ago, and Iโ€™ve been getting the itch to go back. After seeing this post, I think I need to book my flights....

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Someone has probably already asked but I haven't read any other posts in the thread yet. Did you get to keep it?

Congrats on a spectacular digging week.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal day in the dirt. Hell, I don't think I could dream an outing like that. A big congrats on banner!

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what company did you go with, would love to check it out?

Buy a stuff animal, hide that coin in there and Fed Ex that thing to the US. I hate that any govt would keep what you find. US makes me mad, that we can't even hunt on land, that we pay taxes on.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buy a stuff animal, hide that coin in there and Fed Ex that thing to the US. I hate that any govt would keep what you find. US makes me mad, that we can't even hunt on land, that we pay taxes on.

England has very fair treasure laws. Assuming the government would โ€œkeep what you findโ€ is inaccurate. The reason it needs to be turned in for inspection is so that it can be analyzed and recorded, which is very important when history is dug up.

The poster did the right thing, and will 100% get his coin back.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Hunt!!! Congrats!!!!!!! Awesome Gold Coin!!!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the late Medieval gold!!

I want to give some love to that beautiful groat though, it appears to be in wonderful condition and is truly an eye-catching and handsome piece of silver.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As JC states, the Govt don't have any rights on these finds at all. It's the finders (assuming the land-own agrees), all they can do is block the export licence which for a coin of this nature will never be an issue. (& the OP still owns it, just in a different Country..lol)
Plus its findspot provenance is an important fact in building our Countries greater knowledge, which is lost by those that are not interested in our Laws. We know where that leads, when people disrespect the Laws of the Country they visit or live in don't we?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON BANNER.:occasion14:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow, That gold coin is a amazing find. Congrats:occasion14:

OP
OP
Rubka888

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As JC states, the Govt don't have any rights on these finds at all. It's the finders (assuming the land-own agrees), all they can do is block the export licence which for a coin of this nature will never be an issue. (& the OP still owns it, just in a different Country..lol)
Plus its findspot provenance is an important fact in building our Countries greater knowledge, which is lost by those that are not interested in our Laws. We know where that leads, when people disrespect the Laws of the Country they visit or live in don't we?

Thanks for my first banner find! You are spot on with your statement here. The museum is recording my find and the location. It is too bad there are people that don't submit their finds. The treasure act is such a great thing and fair. I wish other countries like France and Italy would have a treasure act like England does

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...You certainly have been "living the dream"! Congratulations on some absolutely epic detecting adventures!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one of the more exciting Banner finds in a while ( in my opinion ..obviously) I was out of internet connection when this went up - didn't get a vote - Amazing Finds !!!

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!!! Def. Banner find. Congrats!

leonidas

Aug 30, 2018
Kennesaw, Ga
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, White's MXT, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a great hunt, congrats on some awesome coin finds!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for my first banner find! You are spot on with your statement here. The museum is recording my find and the location. It is too bad there are people that don't submit their finds. The treasure act is such a great thing and fair. I wish other countries like France and Italy would have a treasure act like England does
Yes, the French detectorist would love something similar, Italy its a flat ban.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just amazing historical hammered coin recoveries, well deserving of your first BANNER on Tnet! :occasion14:

Dave

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that IS a find of a life time right there ! Well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread