1787 Machin's Mills, LCs, and Colonial Relics Including Silver!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted much the past few weeks, but I've been trying out a number of new sites. As expected, most have been either hunted out or minimally productive. On Sunday I decided to take a break from that and continue a yard permission I've had for some time. It's a 1790's house with extensive grounds and I've found quite a bit of coins and relics from the second half of the 1800's so it's always been a fun spot to hunt. This time I decided to grid what used to be the orchard and pick up what I thought would be the handful of random drops. Instead I had a hunt that rivals most virgin cellar holes that I've found!

DSC09594.JPG DSC09596.JPG

For starters I found three large cents during the course of the the grid, which would be an excellent day by itself. The newest is 1822, followed by 1817, and the draped bust is an 1805.

Not far from where the DBLC was found, I dug a copper with the faint outline of King George III. After some careful cleaning it actually turned out to be in pretty good shape:

DSC09597.JPG DSC09598.JPG

I left the patina alone, which turned out to be a good move since the date (1773) was faint, but legible when held at the right angle. I almost never find these with a date! A few passes later I got another deep penny tone and dug up another thin copper. It also appeared to be a KGIII half penny, but it wasn't until I cleaned it up that I realized I had found my second Machin's Mills counterfeit copper!

DSC09599.JPG DSC09604.JPG

Unfortunately the patina was flaking the second it came out of the ground. I stored it in a moist bag that I carry with me for just such occasions, but even back at home I still couldn't stabilize the patina and ended up just taking it all off. The reverse is still strong and thankfully has the non-regal 1787 date clear as day. The obverse is pretty much gone, but I'm still fairly sure the variety is Vlack 19-87c.

I also picked up a number of late 1700's relics and a fair share of buttons.

DSC09606.JPG DSC09607.JPG

I love the design on the dandy and it's one of the nicer preserved ones I've dug recently too! I also found one complete shoe buckle and one partial:

DSC09609.JPG DSC09610.JPG

I had hoped the other half of the broken buckle would show up, but no luck yet. It has a great pattern to it and looks like it was cast as opposed to carved.

DSC09611.JPG

I turned up a fair number of 1800's relics as well including the usual tack buckles, suspender buckles, and crotal bell. The doorknob was a surprise, especially considering it looks quite old to me. One relic in particular was a head scratcher:

DSC09612.JPG

The landowner and I were looking at it and couldn't make heads or tails of it, and it didn't become clear until I cleaned it up a bit more.

DSC09613.JPG DSC09614.JPG

It's a strip of printing type! The font is incredible small and I'm still trying to make out what it says, but two blocks of words are definitely "New-York", the hyphen included. I may need a jewelers loop to make out the rest, but it seems like a section of newspaper column to me. No idea what it's doing here though as this town never had it's own newspaper.

The last relic is by far my favorite though. It was in the very first grid of the day and initially I just put it in the identify later bin thinking it was aluminum or some other scrap of metal. Once it was cleaned up I realized it was definitely silver and strong magnification revealed it had a hallmark:

DSC09616.JPG DSC09618.JPG DSC09620.JPG

Am I dreaming, or did I find a colonial silver posey ring? Here's the mark magnified:

Untitled.jpg

It looks like the lion is the middle symbol, but the the two on either side are still filled with dirt. I'm not sure how to clean those out though, since they're absolutely minuscule; head of a pin sized at best. I may try ultrasonic cleaning, but what do you guys think? Is it the real deal?

Upvote 33

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Amazing finds.Congrats :icon_thumright:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Popping all those LC’s must have been a great surprise. I’m reading 925 on the silver ring. I thought the 925 was the more modern stamp and Sterling was the older and no stamp at all was the oldest. Awesome hunt! Congrats!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutel amazing post I wiish I could hunt a. site like that great post

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''colonial silver posey ring''

In answer to the above, no. As it would have to have writing on it. Tough one to date without that clear hallmark, must have been a childs?

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In answer to the above, no. As it would have to have writing on it. Tough one to date without that clear hallmark, must have been a childs?

That's a shame. I still have my fingers crossed that it's old. The sunburst dandy button, Georgian shoe buckle fragment, and the ring were within four feet of each other in the same layer of soil. Could be a more recent drop I suppose, but maybe if I can get the dirt out of those marks and get a cleaner photo it'll give more of a clue.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Ring looks to say 925 and then a makers mark.
Excellent hunting!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow you had a great hunt with awesome finds. Congrats:occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic and old copper coin hunt! :notworthy:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some super saves. Great day of detecting for sure. Excellent bunch of finds. Congrats

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack pot! I hope you hunt this site dry. Should be very interesting.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an Amazing haul!!!

The printing block is unusual. I am not an expert but its unlike any type set I've seen. Newspapers most commonly used type that was interchangeable, so it could be rearranged into the text for the next print addition. This strip was for printing the same line of text over and over. I wonder if it was a marker-mark of some sort? Maybe the strip was hammered, leaving an imprint of the text or even heated to brand the text onto something? I really don't know just speculating.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Sic finds. For most of us in the later states that would be a lifetime of finds lol

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool top notch hunt, congrats!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Awesome finds! :icon_thumleft: LC's, coppers, buttons, and a silver ring!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a shame. I still have my fingers crossed that it's old. The sunburst dandy button, Georgian shoe buckle fragment, and the ring were within four feet of each other in the same layer of soil. Could be a more recent drop I suppose, but maybe if I can get the dirt out of those marks and get a cleaner photo it'll give more of a clue.
I'm not saying its not old, only that its not a posey ring by definition.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds- hope that place keeps producing!

-- Jeff --

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions