Roman Metal Working Site - Day 1 - 2 ROMAN SILVERS - MARC ANTONY !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today our plan was to return to the Track-Way Site to hope for a Sceat. However, before we started I wanted to check if the bean stalks at the Roman Metal Working Site/Fan's Site were disced in yet. As luck would have it the Metal Working Site was ready but Fan's site had not been completed yet & they had run the tractor up the side of Fan's Site & in the opposite direction to the rest of the discing lines. So we used this opportunity to do our first ever 'T' shaped gridding pattern & it was highly successful, because the BC Denarius was in a lesser known area away from where we would normally concentrate if we had had the choice.:icon_thumright:
Only a little rain today but with the wind at 35mph it really takes it out of you on an exposed hill for 6 hours;

28 Roman Bronze Coins
Hunts Button
COMPLETE - Roman Hair Pin! (sharp)
Top of a Roman Fibula
Bit of a Roman Amphora Strap-end
Roman Leather Mount (our first of its type) - Probably on a horse.
Copper-Core to a Celtic Silver Unit
Poor quality Hammered Halfpenny of?
Vespasian Denarius 69AD
Marc Antony VIII Legionary Denarius 32-31BC - Minted in Patrae (Greece) - Historic but sadly very worn coin, but it is nearly 100 years before they invaded! -
https://www.ma-shops.com/gin/item.php?id=2171&lang=en

''Legio octava Augusta ("Augustus' Eighth Legion") was one of the oldest legions[SUP][1][/SUP] of the Imperial Roman army founded by Pompey in 65 BC, along with the 6th, 7th and 9th, and continuing in service to Rome for at least 400 years thereafter.

The Legion did not serve in Britain but did go to Gaul in AD70 with Vespasian.''

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 95
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 33

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That's a very well spent 6 hours even with the "WB". Grats and thanks again for sharing your amazing finds.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always amazed at your posts Crusader, I won't say envious because you need a detector to find the remnants of the Bronze, Iron and Medieval ages. When I was a child we had a much less complicated method.
We waited for a big rain. the next day when the sun came out we walked the fields into the sun in bare feet watching for the glint of obsidian, quartzite, chert or agate. You could tell the difference between the artifacts before and after the great tsunami (great flood) 10-12 thousand years ago. Even the chips were finer as was the media in the early years. The artifacts may be a little harder to find and date, but they never rust away. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing ! The hairpin is indeed sharp ! Is it bronze ? Excellent finds !!
Yeap bronze, it must have come up in last years deep plough.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru banner banner banner banner banner wowza I love your posts absolutely amazing Thanks for sharing

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! :occasion14:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool to think that Marc Antony coin circulated for a century before being lost. Congrats on the excellent coins and relics. I really like that hair pin!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool to think that Marc Antony coin circulated for a century before being lost. Congrats on the excellent coins and relics. I really like that hair pin!
yes, even if it came over in early trade before the conquest like some silver did, its still must have circulated for a long time & think of its journey as payment in Greece to a site in Britain! (must have passed through many hands)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be there in a month......leave a few for me will you!?? :laughing7::icon_thumleft:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, a question for you regarding Roman coinage you have run into....the above coin almost appears to have been "pieced" (as on a Spanish Reale). Was that a common practice, or am I 'reading into the shape'?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed that one! I love these Marc Anthony Denarii. Having one of every legion they were donated to is high on the list. The complete hairpin is stunning too. How rarely they come out of the field unbroken! Big congrats!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, a question for you regarding Roman coinage you have run into....the above coin almost appears to have been "pieced" (as on a Spanish Reale). Was that a common practice, or am I 'reading into the shape'?
Cut coins (bronze mostly) do happen in the Roman period but only in half or cut down to a smaller circle. They are pretty rare, none of these ones in this post are cut, only damaged by the plough. There are no writing's that I know of talking about the cut pieces, so little is known & the problem would be on this site; it may have been prep work for smelting. (We have found a couple from here)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I can’t remember how many hair pin pieces you’ve listed over the years, but that intact on is amazing. Congrats on a survivor!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t remember how many hair pin pieces you’ve listed over the years, but that intact on is amazing. Congrats on a survivor!
Lots of broken ones, maybe only 1 slightly bent complete one, I think this is the first complete straight one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread