Gold, Silver, and the Luckiest Bet Anyone's Ever Made

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hello there ladies and gents! Pull up a chair and I'll tell you a story...

Today's tale begins on a later summer's day, in a wide green field, on a screaming high-tone. The kind of signal you just know has to be a piece of aluminum. Only what pops out, six inches down? This thing I'm currently calling a "better's check", until one of you fine people can tell me the proper name for it:

md0.jpg

Yeah, that's right. Some psychopath bet the 7th horse, in the 7th race, on the 7th day of the 7th month in the year 1977. And they wagered $100! CRAZY? You bet! Using a handy online inflation calculation, that's $416 in today's adjusted dollars!

So what is this thing? It appears cut off at the top, like it was snipped. Maybe the person won the bet? They cashed it in and kept the stub? Or did the horse track keep the other side of this thing, and you had to return it to claim your winnings?

Either way, I knew the rest of the day HAD to be lucky. 777777? C'mon. That's a lot of sevens!

About one hour and a half dozen wheat pennies later, I get this cool button. My first Navy Eagle Anchor button! Gold gilded? Only no... it's gotta be fake. Maybe a coat button. The shank is wrong, and it's way too light. I found another button beside it, too. Here's some pics, but I'm pretty sure it's non-military and probably modern:

md4.jpg md5.jpg

So yeah, okay. Still cool, right? I go on for a little while more, scoop some clad, and then the Nox800 gives me a sweet, high-toned signal that sounds too 'pure' to be a coin. That's the only way to explain it, really. So I say to myself: "Self? This is probably a silver ring."

md3.jpg

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! NOW I'm happy. I can go home successful. I can call the day a win.

Only I keep going. My wrist hurts, but I'm powering through it and working my way back toward the truck. You know the drill... you keep telling yourself to hit the power switch, but the little nagging voice in the back of your mind says "Aww... screw it, just keep detecting until your coil falses out on your front bumper."

Then THIS happens:

md1.jpg md2.jpg

My first class ring! And it's a 20g pig, too. Heavy as hell. 10k. And... Centereach High School?

That's my high school! How LUCKY is that??? (And no, I wasn't detecting around my old high school, lol).

1975. Thirteen years before I graduated there in 88', but without a gold class ring because my mother thought it would be a waste of money. Always gave her crap about that. But hey know what? Joke's on you now, ma.

It turns out there's some initials inscribed on the inside too, so there's a good chance I can do my first ring return (well, second actually). Got my buddy doing some research on the person now.

Alright, well that was my day. Hope everyone else had fun! It was nice for once not to get chewed by bugs or fried by the sunshine.

Later all! GL and HH!

P.S. - Bonus Howitzer pic to send my post off with a bang! (found this today also)

md6.jpg

P.S.S - If anyone knows anything about that "better's check" please let me know. I'm curious!

Last edited:
Upvote 17

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the bling is nice and congratulations but for some reason I'm taken by that Howitzer as well. :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You DID buy a Lotto ticket on the way home...right??? ๐Ÿ˜‚ Helluva day!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, great read! That class rings a honker fer sure...im almost hoping the former owner left the country so you can keep it. Congrats..great day...Ddf.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Lucky day do sure.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done My Friend great post glad you did so well

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds! Centereach? Are you from LI?

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: That better's check is really weird. Hope you find out what it really is. Very nice rings!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread