Large Cent Club

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I secured the permission of an old property and gave the owner a case of beer in thanks. (Actually two 12 packs). The house is located in the oldest section of town and the yard contained a mish-mash of metal things from clad to this.... my first Large Cent.

Doug joined me and we detected the house next door as well. The house next door seems to have been detected before, as there were only modern coins, but there were some older relics in spots. I gave some items to one of the owners on the spot, including a silver ring and what looked like a coin button.
Largecent.jpg
You can see the LC is in pretty bad shape. I think the date is 1827 or 1837. Anyway. It's the oldest coin I've found so far. I thought it was a token at first, but when I rinsed it off I could see the ONE CENT. It's the closest thing to Big Coppa in my neck of the woods.
LargeCU.jpg
Even though it's trashed, maybe one of the coin experts can tell what the date is by the close up.

This one took me by surprise for sure! :D

Cheers!

Ridley

Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Great finds indeed, Ridley! Keep em coming!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
That's a 24-pack well-spent! Great bunch of stuff, and I think that LC will look better after some appropriate cleaning. I'd be glad to find one in much worse shape.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Congrats and welcome to the Large Cent Club! HH,
Donny

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Congrats on your first large cent there, Ridley. Nice silver Washington, too.
Bob

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
CONGRATS!!!!! You're part of a club, I havent had the pleasure of making yet. Would love to find one like that. Keep diggin and Happy Hunting!

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Congrats on reaching another mile stone in your quest for treasure.I forsee much more to come ! God Bless and HH..Panz

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Welcome to the Large Cent club, Ridley!! I dug one over 15 years ago at an old elementary school field.

Finding a coin like that tells me there's a chance for a seated or two.

Congrats, my friend. You deserved that one!! It was worth a 24-pack!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Congrats on your large cent find, I still have not found one. Hope you find some more at that spot!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Welcome to the club Ridley! I found one that looks almost identical to yours. I finally decided to electrocute it to try to find a date. It didn't help much, but I think mine is a 1837 as well. I think yours is in a hair better shape than mine.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,
Congrats on a fantastic find. I still haven't joined the Barber club yet, let alone the large cent club (LCG). Love that "Merry Widow" condom wrapper too. ;D
Great finds.
-MM-

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
ModernMiner said:
Dave,
Congrats on a fantastic find. I still haven't joined the Barber club yet, let alone the large cent club (LCG). Love that "Merry Widow" condom wrapper too. ;D
Great finds.
-MM-
So THAT's what that is.. That's even better than the 'Dippity-Do' lid I found on Tuesday.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
;D ;D ;D grads BIG time dude !!! ya gotta love it,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D
those condom tins are great clues !!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, CONGRATS, no more pressure now to find one !!!! ;D

Nice going Ridley, I found my first one long time ago, but the funny thing was, it was so worn, that I thought it was a British Half Penny for about two decades! Finally after reexamining it I saw some details on the back and it was a worn down Draped Bust Large Cent!!

I cannot help you with the date from the photo, just not clear enough to say for sure, so I will not say at all. That flaking patina left will most likelyfall off if not cleaned and preserved, so if you have not tried to do so, I believe you have nothing to loose and maybe a date to gain.

HH

Don

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Way to go, Ridley dude. You will be considered for a new slot in my "Top 25." You should have popped open a can of whoop a$$ after that coppa...I know I would have, if I had some beer nearby. It would make you look cool, too...walking around with a beer in yo hand with a datecta in yo other hand. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread