Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt a new spot close to some heavy CW action. It's a big lot that the house was torn down recently. Most of the ground has been disturbed but there is still some good ground around the edges. I hunted there a few times this week and have found a nice variety of relics. The targets are spread out all around and I think I've dug more shotgun headstamps from here than anywhere I've ever hunted, but if I skipped over those type of signals I would have missed the Eagle coat and cuff buttons. I dug some neat small buckles that I'm not sure if they were on a man's garter sock and I'm not sure if they're period? Also got a nice underplug off of a Bormann shell maybe? I went back yesterday and lucked up on a few more bullets and my last signal was down deep and under a huge root. I was excited to see it was a brass barrel band and it cleaned up nicely. It's marked with the numbers 12 and 99. I know enough that it's a barrel band but have no idea as to what type of musket/riffle it's off of. I appreciate any help I can get on an ID. HH-David

6DxZFhQ.jpg fwwW2ra.jpg

oy5Hvpm.jpg XncFA1K.jpg

WEz6on6.jpg

Upvote 23
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice CW hunt, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!! Good Luck on future hunts!!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds!! Congrats!!

Any back marks on those Eagle buttons?

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Dave, What a fabulous hunt and the thing dreams are made of. Congratulations and I hope you have many more like this.

Here's where I hope the forum will add their two cents. I believe the barrel band is from a naval carbine. I know the British supplied some to the Confederacy and the one I have is marked "Barnes Tower" Apparently manufactured by the Barnes company to the specs of the arsenal of the Tower Of London. I understand that some were 58 cal and some were 12 ga shotgun. The one I have is 12 ga cylinder bore but it might have been bored out at a surrender center. This particular band doesn't match mine and looks like it might not have ever been finished (polished etc).
I used to dove hunt with mine. Loaded on the mild side of black powder shell specs no modern shotgun could even keep up with it.

Best wishes and good luck!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice variety of CW finds!!! I feel your pain with those headstamps, but you got to dig-em. Congrats and HH

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! Congrats!!

Any back marks on those Eagle buttons?

Thanks Yak! I think the cuff says EXTRA QUAILITY and can’t make out the coat button though.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Dave, What a fabulous hunt and the thing dreams are made of. Congratulations and I hope you have many more like this.

Here's where I hope the forum will add their two cents. I believe the barrel band is from a naval carbine. I know the British supplied some to the Confederacy and the one I have is marked "Barnes Tower" Apparently manufactured by the Barnes company to the specs of the arsenal of the Tower Of London. I understand that some were 58 cal and some were 12 ga shotgun. The one I have is 12 ga cylinder bore but it might have been bored out at a surrender center. This particular band doesn't match mine and looks like it might not have ever been finished (polished etc).
I used to dove hunt with mine. Loaded on the mild side of black powder shell specs no modern shotgun could even keep up with it.

Best wishes and good luck!

Thanks for the great info. I will search out more on those type of guns.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice variety of CW finds!!! I feel your pain with those headstamps, but you got to dig-em. Congrats and HH

Thanks Diggin Dude! Yeah headstamps are as bad as pull tabs. Even though I know some people collect them.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the buttons and buckles and the barrel band. Congrats

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a lot of digging! But well worth the time! Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Love those buttons!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super finds and thanks for sharing “trash” too. Those shotgun shells could be collectible as well. Early on I threw mine out..but not any more. I didn’t know there was such a variety of head stamps on shells. ...but your CW finds are fabulous. Nice saves!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a lot of digging! But well worth the time! Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Love those buttons!

Thanks Whyme! Yeah it's a little bit of work but always worth it.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds and thanks for sharing “trash” too. Those shotgun shells could be collectible as well. Early on I threw mine out..but not any more. I didn’t know there was such a variety of head stamps on shells. ...but your CW finds are fabulous. Nice saves!

Thanks Underwonder! Yeah I like to show the ugly with the treasures we find. I know some like to collect the headstamps but I haven't got there yet. Mine end up in the trash.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Saves!!! Congrats on them buttons :occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt a new spot close to some heavy CW action. It's a big lot that the house was torn down recently. Most of the ground has been disturbed but there is still some good ground around the edges. I hunted there a few times this week and have found a nice variety of relics. The targets are spread out all around and I think I've dug more shotgun headstamps from here than anywhere I've ever hunted, but if I skipped over those type of signals I would have missed the Eagle coat and cuff buttons. I dug some neat small buckles that I'm not sure if they were on a man's garter sock and I'm not sure if they're period? Also got a nice underplug off of a Bormann shell maybe? I went back yesterday and lucked up on a few more bullets and my last signal was down deep and under a huge root. I was excited to see it was a brass barrel band and it cleaned up nicely. It's marked with the numbers 12 and 99. I know enough that it's a barrel band but have no idea as to what type of musket/riffle it's off of. I appreciate any help I can get on an ID. HH-David

View attachment 1635073 View attachment 1635074

View attachment 1635075 View attachment 1635076

View attachment 1635077

Nice score Scooper ( I was once a 'Super' Dave , via ShowTime TV ) .

My last hunt mirrored yours SGB Everywhere (most dug before IMO ).
I did get the J hook tho no bullets but a small patch of 8 or so dropped percussion caps.

I keep all the SGB cause .....Well I'm a hoarder & Metal is money., Also looks like that cig is still smoke-able or you got a new 'tobacco'. 1 hitter.. lol

I do like the 'Carved' Pointed Minnie , & of course the Barrel Band.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions