1st Signal- 1st Hole- 1765

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been a while since I posted. I havn’t been detecting much as my elderly mother is not well and requiring our attention- which I am glad to give. This being my 1st year in the hobby- I was just thinking the other day how many hours I’d spent detecting this summer (several hundred) and while I’ve had lots of great finds- was dissapointed I had yet to break into the 1800s as far as coins.
After hours at my mothers bedside, (and her doing well-) I decided to take a break and stretch my legs dispite the fact it was drizzling. Grabbed the Nox, and started to walk the yard. “Lets see if anything really stands out” I thought swinging the yard I’d been over 25 times before.
In 5 minutes a very consistent, short 19 tone caught my attention. I didn’t even have a shovel with me so I left the coil over the target while I grabbed it from the truck.
8” down- there it was. Too big to be a penny, too thin to be a buffalo; one wipe and I saw lions.
A few more, and the letters and date appeared.
I skipped the 1800s and half the 1700s by pulling this 1765 Netherlands West Friesland 1Duit out of it’s home.
Speechless.
If anyone knows any history of why I may have found this type of coin in old Bucks County PA farmland- please feel free to share.

Attachments

• 9CC87DE7-C218-46F5-8979-7955EB78CB46.jpeg
    9CC87DE7-C218-46F5-8979-7955EB78CB46.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 11E5D02F-F411-49B8-894E-B65966F8B770.jpeg
    11E5D02F-F411-49B8-894E-B65966F8B770.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 33
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been a while since I posted. I havn’t been detecting much as my elderly mother is not well and requiring our attention- which I am glad to give. This being my 1st year in the hobby- I was just thinking the other day how many hours I’d spent detecting this summer (several hundred) and while I’ve had lots of great finds- was dissapointed I had you to break into the 1800s as far as coins.
After hours at my mothers bedside, (and her doing well-) I decided to take a break and stretch my legs dispite the fact it was drizzling. Grabbed the Nox, and started to walk the yard. “Lets see if anything really stands out” I thought swinging the yard I’d been over 25 times before.
In 5 minutes a very consistent, short 19 tone caught my attention. I didn’t even have a shovel with me so I left the coil over the target while I grabbed it from the truck.
8” down- there it was. Too big to be a penny, too thin to be a buffalo; one wipe and I saw lions.
A few more, and the letters and date appeared.
I skipped the 1800s and half the 1700s by pulling this 1765 Netherlands West Friesland 125 Duit out of it’s home.
Speechless.
If anyone knows any history of why I may have found this type of coin in old Bucks County PA farmland- please feel free to share.

Somebody had a hole in their pocket a couple hundred years ago?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find! Strange, huh? Sure makes one wonder! All the best to you and your family.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever heard of the “Pennsylvania Dutch” There is a reason why! Cool find

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Great find of colonial history!

Do you think, or does anyone know if that coin would have been recognized as tender in the colonies? If not perhaps given to a child or tossed. The "Pennsylvania Dutch" were largely German, Swiss and Alsatian. They were all indentured so they didn't have a lot of choice where they went till the indenture was paid off. They were traditionally placed in "Germana Colonies" where they were used as a buffer from the Indians. The one thing they all had in common is that they all departed Europe from the Dutch port of Rotterdam. It would have been very likely that one of those colonist might have left Europe with this coin in his pocket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdHartzel

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While begining my research on this coin- I find many references to the “New York Penny” which I believe was a Dutch coin of same denomination, different mint, later dates. Bowers makes no reference of the coin I have found or its later variants in his book. What a great mystery this one is to me! I can tell you- as soon as I woke up- I held it again to make sure I wasn’t dreaming it all!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1802 1/2 duit in long island. I imagine it was either from some sort of trading or an immigrant, seeing how the netherlands/east indies was a hub for all sorts of stuff including slaves and spices.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
New Sweden was formed in parts of what became Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, as early as 1638. Following them were the Dutch from New Netherlands in 1655.
Source: https://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/specialreports/s_106064.html
The Pennsylvanian Dutch were actually German. These settlers originally came from German-speaking areas of Europe and spoke a dialect of German they refer to as "Deitsch"
( I didn't know that either.)
Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-pennsylvania-dutch-get-their-name-4070513
Don.....

OP
OP
EdHartzel

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lancaster County is normally thought of in reference to the Amish, and Pensylvania Dutch but I suppose that is a modern association with where the still remain. Mom’s property is 1 acre about 1500 feet off the Delaware River. Surrounded by modern houses and parkinglots, its the last bit of the farm land I have researched back to 1900ish; with her house being built 1921. I’m sure it was farmed long before that. By whome I have no idea! If only this coin could talk!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome find.Congrats :icon_thumright:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Sweet find, no doubt. I've yet to get past 1890 with a US coin (I've found a couple older Asian coins). Good luck in your upcoming hunts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread