She Was Eyeballing Me

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
This Is A Very Exciting Find For Me and Here Is Why...

I recently got a Garrett AT MAX... I've always been a Whites person and I absolutely love my DFX...But not being submersible, I've been trying to decide on which detector would best suit my Wants...The At Max won...and I Am More Than Thrilled with it and the 5x8 coil which is smaller than what I have for my DFX.

Anyway, I hadn't had a chance to try it out due to a death in my family....Until around midnight- 12:30am this morning when we were at a family members home in the city that is right by one of my favorite Prohibition Era hunting areas. I knew we were going there and put it in the back before we left. Just in case..8-)

This place was used for distribution, rock basement and some of the basement floor is dirt and rock. There is a short 5' rock wall that make kind of an 'alley' type of walkway there going to an outside door...there's also a coal chute that has been sealed. The walls are uneven and tight in areas that I've not been able to get the big coil in and around.

That all changed this morning...I snuck away from the family for a bit..Got the Max and headed down there. I just went straight to that area since I knew I didn't have much time. I turned it on and the default settings on that machine go straight to coins. I started walking that tight alley area and all of a sudden, about 3 steps in, under one of the uneven rocks of the wall...The Max sounded off.

I bent down and started slowly pulling dirt and picking out the rocks...I go about 7" down and sitting sideways between a couple of rocks, there it was...She was staring straight at me! lol!

I was so excited I didn't look around anymore. That machine hadn't even been on two minutes and went through all that dirt and rock to find someone's 1912 Half Dollar Barber 'Lucky Coin!

Who knows how long that it's been there?? Lots of the folks who settled this area came from New York. It's not my first Barber, but definitely the most interesting I've found and to happen so fast with the Max makes it very special to me.

I'll be back there with the AT MAX and 5x8 coil...No Doubt!

Kace

IMG_2750.PNG IMG_2756.PNG

IMG_2748.PNG . IMG_2757.PNG

IMG_2742.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 50
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice catch. Are you sure that the coin, located where it was between 2 rocks is not a clue to a KGC deposit? Good luck.

HAHA...I'd bet the farm it's not a KGC clue! I know who all was in the prohibition liquor making and distribution in town, 100% on this location...even if not who owned the coin originally...Darn It! lol!

Thanks Ug!

Kace

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome!!! In awesome shape too! As far as the rarity of seeing those, let alone the condition? I'm voting Banner! That is not something that you see everyday or being found detecting! And is a real cool piece of history in awesome shape! I'd rather find that than a $5 gold coin any day!

Thanks Nitric! I appreciate the vote!

I don't think it would of ever been in this good of shape if it hadn't been inside a dirt and rock basement 7" down. I was shocked how nice it is. I can't wait to go back.

Thanks Again

Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of times the High spot is worn so bad that there is a hole, other times the coins got "smeared". In my mind this is in awesome shape, has a good look, and has detail of the coin and the popout. It looks good the whole way around. They also did this on silver pocket watch cases. It was like an art. And is better than the average "todays finds". But I also like the oddball stuff. :laughing7: Just not something I think is going to be found while detecting very often, looking that good, very rarely. Cool piece of history.

Nitric, You're right...Whoever did this was an artisan for sure. I've been looking at it closer with the loupe and it's amazing looking in the back side of it. The word Liberty that's in her crown even shows up inside as do the tips of the arrows.

I'd love to see someone who knew what they were doing press a coin. I'm going to have to research how they did it so well.

Kace

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen one of those made from a half, usually dimes.
Fantastic find!
Don't know if it's gonna be comfortable in the old Whitman coin folder, though.
Carl

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice repose coin. They were very popular around 1900. Congrats on the score!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one stunning looker of a coin! I learned something new yet again here on Tnet...Thanks. Enjoy!

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a cool find! Big congrats! I think that is a banner coin right there. I have never seen one before and this is in such good shape!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, she is a beauty! I hope the AT MAX that I have coming is as successful as your!

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Well now, ain't she purty! Banner vote fer sure. :icon_thumright:

Did ye find any old Prohibition booze down there?

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Never seen one of those made from a half, usually dimes.
Fantastic find!
Don't know if it's gonna be comfortable in the old Whitman coin folder, though.
Carl

Thank You Curb! I doubt it'll fit in a Whitman either...lol!

These Barber Half Repousse Coins apparently are very rare.. I knew nothing about them. I now know Next to nothing..

Theres only one recently published small book on the history.. These pop outs started at the 1900 Worlds Fair.

You're right according to what I read, these pop out coins are usually dimes or pennies. I did see a couple other pictures in that article but not much.

The one book on them is $20. I guess I should order it. I believe it was self published and the author died a couple days before release so I can't contact him.

Thanks,
Kace

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Curb! I doubt it'll fit in a Whitman either...lol!

These Barber Half Repousse Coins apparently are very rare.. I knew nothing about them. I now know Next to nothing..

Theres only one recently published small book on the history.. These pop outs started at the 1900 Worlds Fair.

You're right according to what I read, these pop out coins are usually dimes or a pennies. I did see a couple other pictures in that article but not much.

The one book on them is $20. I guess I should order it. I believe it was self published and the author died a couple days before release so I can't contact him.

Thanks,
Kace

I'll bet there isn't all that many in that condition on Ebay! Less than 8 or 10? And figure Ebay is world wide. I still think it's rarer than most U.S. gold or silver coins. I have a better chance of finding a $5 heck a $3 or $4 gold or a 1909svdb than one like that. Value doesn't matter I have some super rare things that aren't valued high because lack of interest, the history and "coolness" is what makes the difference. After watching todays finds? It's a rare find. I have had literally 10's of thousands, maybe more, of silver coins and silver type tokens go through my hands from looking at collections. I've crossed maybe 1 or 2 of those and they were in rough shape.

added....I chimed in again because I love stuff like this and I really don't believe people know 1. That's a half 2. How hard something like this would be to find detecting, especially in that condition. Super rare. The Dimes are more common, the Half is not common That was a good chunk of change at that time a poor person wouldn't have had that made. I just feel strongly about this find because I appreciate the history and the condition of it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread