She Was Eyeballing Me

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
This Is A Very Exciting Find For Me and Here Is Why...

I recently got a Garrett AT MAX... I've always been a Whites person and I absolutely love my DFX...But not being submersible, I've been trying to decide on which detector would best suit my Wants...The At Max won...and I Am More Than Thrilled with it and the 5x8 coil which is smaller than what I have for my DFX.

Anyway, I hadn't had a chance to try it out due to a death in my family....Until around midnight- 12:30am this morning when we were at a family members home in the city that is right by one of my favorite Prohibition Era hunting areas. I knew we were going there and put it in the back before we left. Just in case..8-)

This place was used for distribution, rock basement and some of the basement floor is dirt and rock. There is a short 5' rock wall that make kind of an 'alley' type of walkway there going to an outside door...there's also a coal chute that has been sealed. The walls are uneven and tight in areas that I've not been able to get the big coil in and around.

That all changed this morning...I snuck away from the family for a bit..Got the Max and headed down there. I just went straight to that area since I knew I didn't have much time. I turned it on and the default settings on that machine go straight to coins. I started walking that tight alley area and all of a sudden, about 3 steps in, under one of the uneven rocks of the wall...The Max sounded off.

I bent down and started slowly pulling dirt and picking out the rocks...I go about 7" down and sitting sideways between a couple of rocks, there it was...She was staring straight at me! lol!

I was so excited I didn't look around anymore. That machine hadn't even been on two minutes and went through all that dirt and rock to find someone's 1912 Half Dollar Barber 'Lucky Coin!

Who knows how long that it's been there?? Lots of the folks who settled this area came from New York. It's not my first Barber, but definitely the most interesting I've found and to happen so fast with the Max makes it very special to me.

I'll be back there with the AT MAX and 5x8 coil...No Doubt!

Kace

IMG_2750.PNG IMG_2756.PNG

IMG_2748.PNG . IMG_2757.PNG

IMG_2742.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 50
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is such a cool find! Big congrats! I think that is a banner coin right there. I have never seen one before and this is in such good shape!

Thank You Rubka! I've never seen another one in person either... I just realized the rarity of this after all of you pointed it out to me!

I appreciate the banner vote for the history and rarity of this Pop Out Barber Half Dollar. Not because of my 2minutes of skill with the AT Max! lol! I do know the history of the location, but without that machine I would of never found it among all the dirt and rock especially that deep..No Way. I believe the location of it preserved it so well...

Thanks Again!

Kace

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice.Congrats :occasion14:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! :icon_thumleft: Never heard of these types of coins before. Now I know!

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, she is a beauty! I hope the AT MAX that I have coming is as successful as your!

BLK...For being 106yrs old, She is still a looker for sure! lol! I'm sure you'll love the AT MAX...This is My first Garrett. I've used the Pro before...Not a lot though. If you're used to the Pro, the sounds are a little different, but I'm sure you've researched that.

I am so impressed with the depth that the Max picked this up in those conditions...that rock and dirt floor is packed down pretty good and the way the rock foundation and walls are down there, it's not easy to access like an open area would be.

I can't wait to see what it does in the water! And Another Trip Back There! lol!

Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well now, ain't she purty! Banner vote fer sure. :icon_thumright:

Did ye find any old Prohibition booze down there?

Kentuck...Thank You For The Banner Vote! I Appreciate That!

I didn't even look for any of the Violation of the Volstead Act Spirits on this hunt! lol! I was too stunned by this find!

I did have a craving for some Apple Pie though..lol!

I have found some bottles at other sites in that area. If you saw those coins I posted from a Prohibition Era site..there's 'plugged' bottles I've found at that one...my guess is that they were 'personal consumption bottles' from the still site two doors down!

Thanks Again!

Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one stunning looker of a coin! I learned something new yet again here on Tnet...Thanks. Enjoy!

Under..I agree...I learn something new on Tnet Everyday! I love all the Knowledgeable members who are so willing to share!

I had no idea what this coin was until I posted it and was told.

Thank You,
Kace

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Kentuck...Thank You For The Banner Vote! I Appreciate That!

I didn't even look for any of the Violation of the Volstead Act Spirits on this hunt! lol! I was too stunned by this find!

I did have a craving for some Apple Pie though..lol!

I have found some bottles at other sites in that area. If you saw those coins I posted from a Prohibition Era site..there's 'plugged' bottles I've found at that one...my guess is that they were 'personal consumption bottles' from the still site two doors down!

Thanks Again!

Kace

Reckon I musta missed that one, can ye share a link to it please? Sounds like yer in tha right place ta find a good cache, good research I'm bettin'. Great job on that! :icon_thumright:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, how the heck did they make that? Awesome!

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
wow that is very neat

It Shocked Me GB...Probably like your Cross of Honor Did You! :icon_thumright:

Some things that come out of the ground are completely Unexpected! This was definitely one that shocked me with her eyes staring at me like that.

Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice repose coin. They were very popular around 1900. Congrats on the score!

Thank You Tom! I was looking at your car and had to wonder if this coin was ever in a car like yours! lol!

I can only find where this Repousse Coin debuted at the 1900 Worlds Fair... like you said.

The One Book about them that Robert 'Stumpy' Stump had written was a self published 100-200 run. (depending on what coin forum you read). I've made a lot of calls and searched everywhere I can find online and can't locate a copy of his book. Mr Stump died a few days before it was released. Supposedly someone is planning on re releasing the book.. a friend of his, but so far he's been the only one I've found who ever knew the history and the way they were pressed back then.

The coin dealers I've talked to said to have a Barber Half Pop Out Coin is rare because they were usually dimes. Another member here said that too.

I just haven't been able to find anyone who knows much about them...I took it to my jeweler/coin dealer and he had never seen a Half Dollar P.O. in person or any denomination preserved and detailed like this.

It's a mystery for sure!

Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
What an awesome and somewhat eerie looking coin. Congrats!

Winslow...It Did Startle Me a bit when I pulled the last of the dirt back and the way the coin was sideways between those rocks...her head was turned looking at me... the light hitting her face Was Eerie!

First For Me!

Thank You,
Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Reckon I musta missed that one, can ye share a link to it please? Sounds like yer in tha right place ta find a good cache, good research I'm bettin'. Great job on that! :icon_thumright:

I'll post a few pics later today hopefully of one of the sites where I found some stuff to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Prohibition hunting is All About Research and Surprisingly there's just as many or more Caches and relics to be found in the city. You just have to out find Where the Liquor Storage/Distribution/Production sites were and they can be in businesses or homes. I've not seen one yet that didn't have two hidden entrances/exits...one to the outside and one to a tunnel. Obviously I haven't found every one 'yet' but I'd bet that's the norm... no less than two escape ways besides the entrance indoors in the basements.

The city hunting is different than country hunting in someways...it's easier to get on properties in cities than the country IF you don't know people that will let you on land in the country.

I'd post pics tonight, but I took the Max and DFX out for another hunt after work and I'm tired but Still..I'm Very Impressed Again with the AT Max...I got some water time in too with it and It Did Not Disappoint!!. Neither did the DFX on land.

Thanks Kentuck
Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa, how the heck did they make that? Awesome!

Bear...I really don't know...There's very little information to be had on these. I'm trying to get ahold of the one book on it but so far haven't had any luck.

I'll post information as (if) I find it. The serious coin collector guys here didn't have a definitive answer...I've never seen that happen...Too many knowledgeable members. I'm Not one of them! lol!

Thanks,

Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm making a little headway on the history and process of making Repousse Coins like the Barber Half I found.

Here is a photo of the front and back of a die used.

Kace

IMG_2925.PNG

IMG_2928.PNG

My Coin

IMG_2927.PNG IMG_2926.PNG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread