πŸ₯‡ BANNER Marked belt plate from 1812 and my best Connecticut copper.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had an awesome hunt on Saturday.

After a long wait ,got one of my major bucket listers : An engraved belt plate from the War of 1812
It's crazy how many times I imagined myself finding one and it finally happened on Saturday! :headbang: Although I know it's going to be hard to ID this one, I couldn't be happier with its condition.

20180923_103111a.jpg 20180923_103102a.jpg

The letters seem to indicate L.S.V. and I suspect it belonged to a militia soldier. ( Loyal S.... Volunteers?)

An other great find an hour or so latter, was my best preserved Connecticut copper 1785 (Miller 6.4-I)

20180923_0859431.jpg 20180923_0859291.jpg

Couldn't be happier as both relics are top shelf finds but the belt plate,for me personally, takes the cake.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 104

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see LIV as well, based on colonial script. If so, as mentioned before, could be Loyal Irish Volunteers. If it is an LIV shoulder plate, its Rev War era! Their headquarters were in Boston in 1775. Awesome find. Banner for sure!!

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changed my mind, I think I see SSV.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's tha way ya do it. Congrats. Great finds.:coffee2:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner for your plate, love that Connecticut copper. I really don't know what that plate is, just think it looks military and should be up top, I seen and found script buttons that have that same look that came from Rev War

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lovely state of preservation for both pieces, congrats on the beautiful rare finds!

Is the "belt" plate a shoulder/sash belt plate?

I was looking the monogram and my feeling is that it reads "LIV", in which case it might be Roman Numerals (54) or stand for something like the "Loyal Irish Volunteers", which would be pretty awesome. I have no idea but it is a wonderful piece to enjoy and study, nice work!

Thanks Plumbata.
I'm not sure how this plate is called exactly, it's a first one for me. I have never seen Roman numerals written in script so not sure it could be 54th Regiment of foot (although it would fit the area I found it at). Irish Volunteers wouldn't be bad neither :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was most definitely a great hunt you had and it shows how you don't need to find much if you dig the right ones! Your cleaned results are exactly where each item should be... no less and no more.

Each being the first, or one of the first, to see each others finds from the weekend, I think we'll be had pressed to beat the pictures we were exchanging in near real time... as it was some pretty good stuff!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loyal Stirling Volunteers circa 1800 - 1808

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find. I hope you are successful in definitively identifying it.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and agree with others who see it as LIV. That middle letter looks remarkably similar to the script I seen on 1812 infantry buttons. But who knows....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISTORY;

Stirlingshire Militia and Volunteers

Activity Bodies of armed men from Stirlingshire were traditionally recruited to fight for the Crown in times of emergency but the formation of a proper militia in Scotland had not been sought, partly because of doubts about Scottish loyalty. In 1794, however, a royal warrant established lieutenancies which encouraged the development of Volunteer forces. Lieutenancies were county based and led by a lord lieutenant who was appointed by the monarch and who, in turn, appointed deputies. They were to provide for the protection of their counties in the event of invasion, threat or civil uprising and they had the authority to direct all local Volunteer forces. In Stirling the first lord lieutenant was the Duke of Montrose (1755-1836).The threat from the French in 1797 led to the passing of the Militia Act (37 Geo. III, c.103), which empowered lieutenants to raise militia forces. Militiamen were to be selected by ballot, annual training was to be provided, and in times of crisis Corps were to be embodied. The counties of Fife, Stirling, Clackmannan and Kinross were united for the purpose of forming a militia, known as the 5th or Fifeshire Regiment of North British Militia. In 1803 Dumbarton was substituted for Fife to form the Stirling, Dumbarton, Clackmannan, and Kinross Militia (later the 90th Regiment of British Militia) with initially 800 men. Aliment was paid to the dependants of a serving militiaman by the parish or burgh authorities but those chosen by ballot (?principals?) often raised subscriptions to employ substitutes to serve in their places. In 1808 only five of the 222 men in the Stirling militia were principals but Stirling did come close to filling its quota, unlike many other areas which found recruitment difficult as the number of those willing to serve as substitutes was limited. Subsequent Militia Acts did not improve matters greatly.

The threat of invasion by Napoleon had the effect of swelling the numbers of Volunteers. In Stirling in 1800 the Corps of Loyal Stirling Volunteers was embodied. However interest in the Volunteers declined and the passing of the Local Militia Act 1808 ended all pay for Volunteers and the existence of most units, although Volunteers were allowed to join the militia. At the same time, and particularly after 1815 and the end of the Napoleonic wars, the recruitment of militia and the role of the lieutenancy declined. Stirling militia was disbanded in 1816 and between then and 1855 was only called out for training 4 times. The Militia (Scotland) Act 1854 (17 & 18 Vict., c.106) revived the militia, giving it a permanent peacetime existence, but the use of volunteers rather than recruits reduced the responsibilities of the lieutenancies still further. Their powers continued to weaken and their role gradually became largely ceremonial. The 1854 act did not reduce enthusiasm for the original Volunteers and after the war scare of 1859 interest was increased, especially as Volunteer units were generally more democratic and flexible than local militia.

From 1855 Stirling militia was known as the Highland Borderers Light Infantry and then, from 1881, as the 3rd Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It served overseas during the Boer War. In 1908 the militia became a Special Reserve Battalion. During the First World War it acted as a training and reinforcement unit at home. UK militia continued to serve in this capacity up to the Second World War and were only officially disbanded in the 1950s although they had, in reality, ceased to exist by then. The Stirling Volunteers formed volunteer battalions in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and were disbanded with the creation of the Territorial Army in 1908

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread