πŸ₯‡ BANNER Marked belt plate from 1812 and my best Connecticut copper.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had an awesome hunt on Saturday.

After a long wait ,got one of my major bucket listers : An engraved belt plate from the War of 1812
It's crazy how many times I imagined myself finding one and it finally happened on Saturday! :headbang: Although I know it's going to be hard to ID this one, I couldn't be happier with its condition.

20180923_103111a.jpg 20180923_103102a.jpg

The letters seem to indicate L.S.V. and I suspect it belonged to a militia soldier. ( Loyal S.... Volunteers?)

An other great find an hour or so latter, was my best preserved Connecticut copper 1785 (Miller 6.4-I)

20180923_0859431.jpg 20180923_0859291.jpg

Couldn't be happier as both relics are top shelf finds but the belt plate,for me personally, takes the cake.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 104
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HISTORY;

Stirlingshire Militia and Volunteers

Activity Bodies of armed men from Stirlingshire were traditionally recruited to fight for the Crown in times of emergency but the formation of a proper militia in Scotland had not been sought, partly because of doubts about Scottish loyalty. In 1794, however, a royal warrant established lieutenancies which encouraged the development of Volunteer forces. Lieutenancies were county based and led by a lord lieutenant who was appointed by the monarch and who, in turn, appointed deputies. They were to provide for the protection of their counties in the event of invasion, threat or civil uprising and they had the authority to direct all local Volunteer forces. In Stirling the first lord lieutenant was the Duke of Montrose (1755-1836).The threat from the French in 1797 led to the passing of the Militia Act (37 Geo. III, c.103), which empowered lieutenants to raise militia forces. Militiamen were to be selected by ballot, annual training was to be provided, and in times of crisis Corps were to be embodied. The counties of Fife, Stirling, Clackmannan and Kinross were united for the purpose of forming a militia, known as the 5th or Fifeshire Regiment of North British Militia. In 1803 Dumbarton was substituted for Fife to form the Stirling, Dumbarton, Clackmannan, and Kinross Militia (later the 90th Regiment of British Militia) with initially 800 men. Aliment was paid to the dependants of a serving militiaman by the parish or burgh authorities but those chosen by ballot (?principals?) often raised subscriptions to employ substitutes to serve in their places. In 1808 only five of the 222 men in the Stirling militia were principals but Stirling did come close to filling its quota, unlike many other areas which found recruitment difficult as the number of those willing to serve as substitutes was limited. Subsequent Militia Acts did not improve matters greatly.

The threat of invasion by Napoleon had the effect of swelling the numbers of Volunteers. In Stirling in 1800 the Corps of Loyal Stirling Volunteers was embodied. However interest in the Volunteers declined and the passing of the Local Militia Act 1808 ended all pay for Volunteers and the existence of most units, although Volunteers were allowed to join the militia. At the same time, and particularly after 1815 and the end of the Napoleonic wars, the recruitment of militia and the role of the lieutenancy declined. Stirling militia was disbanded in 1816 and between then and 1855 was only called out for training 4 times. The Militia (Scotland) Act 1854 (17 & 18 Vict., c.106) revived the militia, giving it a permanent peacetime existence, but the use of volunteers rather than recruits reduced the responsibilities of the lieutenancies still further. Their powers continued to weaken and their role gradually became largely ceremonial. The 1854 act did not reduce enthusiasm for the original Volunteers and after the war scare of 1859 interest was increased, especially as Volunteer units were generally more democratic and flexible than local militia.

From 1855 Stirling militia was known as the Highland Borderers Light Infantry and then, from 1881, as the 3rd Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It served overseas during the Boer War. In 1908 the militia became a Special Reserve Battalion. During the First World War it acted as a training and reinforcement unit at home. UK militia continued to serve in this capacity up to the Second World War and were only officially disbanded in the 1950s although they had, in reality, ceased to exist by then. The Stirling Volunteers formed volunteer battalions in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and were disbanded with the creation of the Territorial Army in 1908

Thanks for the great info man. Hopefully it's the one. I can't find anything on their plates online but one of the articles seem to suggest they had L.S.V. engraved on their medals. :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great info man. Hopefully it's the one. I can't find anything on their plates online but one of the articles seem to suggest they had L.S.V. engraved on their medals. :icon_thumleft:
There is one are belt plate from the LSV but it had a castle in the centre. I think the unit was so small & short lived that these things are too rare to find on-line. You may have one of the few surviving examples - BANNER.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is crazy! Wow. The Connecticut is amazing by itself but that plate is banner!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one of those finds that deserves a trip straight to the top and bypass the votes. There have been some amazing recoveries going on in the TNET community lately. Congrats on this rare find.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following and hoping for a positive ID. Have you posted on Don Troiani's Facebook group, Revolutionary War Buttons, Plates, & Accouterments?
In the meantime I will add my banner vote.
P.S. Congrats on the nice CT copper as well.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'd think there would be something like that at the Smithsonian...I'd be contacting them...

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The script and the patina make your plate extra special. Incredible find. I found one last year, but it was bent, plain and did not have any patina. Thought it was going to be an old beer can top from the way it rang up. I was able to do some research and find the history on the 1812 local militia. Yours is a beauty with great history. Incredible copper as well. Huge congrats!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an awesome hunt on Saturday.

After a long wait ,got one of my major bucket listers : An engraved belt plate from the War of 1812
It's crazy how many times I imagined myself finding one and it finally happened on Saturday! :headbang: Although I know it's going to be hard to ID this one, I couldn't be happier with its condition.

View attachment 1636376 View attachment 1636377

The letters seem to indicate L.S.V. and I suspect it belonged to a militia soldier. ( Loyal S.... Volunteers?)

An other great find an hour or so latter, was my best preserved Connecticut copper 1785 (Miller 6.4-I)

View attachment 1636381 View attachment 1636382

Couldn't be happier as both relics are top shelf finds but the belt plate,for me personally, takes the cake.

Thanks for the comments.

MAN!
Both are Banner worthy , & if I ever can , I want to move to the NE. ???

Well maybe Spring - Fall. .

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with your LSV, but have no idea what it stands for other than your best guess. (PS. Now see SSV)

I totally understand what your saying about zoning out & imaging your next dream find, I do it all the time, I only hope mine comes true like yours, if its doesn't, I'm sure, that I'm not going to be that disappointed!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:occasion14:

Good luck man. I'm sure you'll get it one day. I can't even imagine what your top bucket lister find would be....a Saxon hoard ..?? ..:occasion14:

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Awesome! Both those finds are in excellent shape. :icon_thumleft: That plate is so cool! Banner!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see LIV as well, based on colonial script. If so, as mentioned before, could be Loyal Irish Volunteers. If it is an LIV shoulder plate, its Rev War era! Their headquarters were in Boston in 1775. Awesome find. Banner for sure!!

Thanks for the comment and the vote RelicMedic. Hopefully one day I'll find an exact match for that plate.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So sick to find an old plate like that. Awesome job!

Thanks Dust Eater. I have found a partial plain one this spring. This one is a very welcome upgrade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread