The Roman Lion Site - Day 2 - Finished STRONG, like a Lion....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although we have only done 2 days on here & only covered about 30% of the scatter we needed to hit the best area & move on. As we have lots of fields to cover & not enough time. Nice problem to have but if we had time we would do more of the site.
We named this field after a small votive Roman Lion Statue, & now we have the matching coin! (more about that later)
3 hours & 15 minutes got us;

13 Roman Bronze Coins
17th/18th C Furniture piece (can't work it out!)
18th C Pewter Cuff-link
Mystery Roman Artefact (first I've seen)
1/2 Roman Silver of Elagabalus

The coin with the Lion was such a rare looking coin (in good condition), it cut our hunt a little short as I was keen to find out more. In the RIC volumes its an R3 (4-6 known), although many more must have been found since 1966, I can't find any examples on the web! (if you do, please add a link). Here is more from Cru'Dad;
''After the indecisive Civil War of AD316-7 increased rivalry between Constantine I and Licinius I, Constantine decided to issue a series of โ€˜pedigreeโ€™ coins of 3 Emperors he claimed family connection with. This one is an AD317-8 Half Follis claiming a link to Claudius II Gothicus (who reigned some 50 years previously) โ€” the others were Constantius I (his Father) and Maximian (Father-in-Law). Constantineโ€™s claim to kinship to the popular Claudius II Gothicus is unproven but was accepted at the time!
Obv: DIVO CLAVDIO OPT IMP
Rev: MEMORIAE AETERNAE.''

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Upvote 25

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those Romans are in incredible condition! Love the lion coin. You have some sweet land there

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah awesome bronze, never heard of them. So the reverse with the club of Hercules above the lion appears to suggest more than mere mortal lineage, did all of this series have the same reverse, or was Claudius Gothicus supposed to have descended from Hercules?

Glad it wasn't one of the crusty damaged coins, I'm happy to see you had a better hunt than the last!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah awesome bronze, never heard of them. So the reverse with the club of Hercules above the lion appears to suggest more than mere mortal lineage, did all of this series have the same reverse, or was Claudius Gothicus supposed to have descended from Hercules?

Glad it wasn't one of the crusty damaged coins, I'm happy to see you had a better hunt than the last!
The club above, is part of what makes it special, some don't have this. No idea what they were trying to say, other than strength.
I can't remember any other of my coins that has the Lion as the main character & this is one of my fav roman bronze coins in a long time.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those Romans are in incredible condition! Love the lion coin. You have some sweet land there
Yes to get 3 out of 13 is a very good result. Last year was a very deep plough, so we are saving these before they get smashed about & killed by chemicals.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some great bronze coins! Congrats!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what mint it's from? Under the lion, is it an officina number then the mintmark, maybe Siscia? The lion/club imagery looks rather Hellenistic, definitely not like most late roman bronzes, it would be interesting if it was from a Balkan mint where adding the club seemed like an appropriate aesthetic touch.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what mint it's from? Under the lion, is it an officina number then the mintmark, maybe Siscia? The lion/club imagery looks rather Hellenistic, definitely not like most late roman bronzes, it would be interesting if it was from a Balkan mint where adding the club seemed like an appropriate aesthetic touch.
Its RS, for ROME.

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

This is the best I can do, has a pic of the Claudius gothicus type with the lion right but missing the club (RIC VII Rome 125). It details the version with the club which I think matches yours (RIC VII Rome 122) and suggests there are two examples in the British museum but no pic unfortunately.

Online Coins of the Roman Empire: Browse Collection

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

This is the best I can do, has a pic of the Claudius gothicus type with the lion right but missing the club (RIC VII Rome 125). It details the version with the club which I think matches yours (RIC VII Rome 122) and suggests there are two examples in the British museum but no pic unfortunately.

Online Coins of the Roman Empire: Browse Collection
Exactly right, missing the club. We knew it was special, shortly after Cru'dad dug it & shouted me over.:thumbsup: That's why I wanted to get home quicker than normal.

PS. It is the RIC VII Rome 122. (I think)

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds again!!! Very cool!!!:occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments.

I wonder if my Lion coin is better than the 2 known examples in the British Museum?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread