May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I took most of my holiday this week. Who needs sun,sea & sand (apart from beach detectorist ;)) Hit the right field at the right time :)

I have just got back from this mornings hunt & had to share, the rest I will post after the PM hunt.

Its my earliest, best, most valuable Gold coin so far & doubles my Dad's Qrter Noble ;D

I AM PUMPED - I thought this year may produce a gold but was beginning to lose faith.

UPDATED

(to keep everyone happy)
Dutch coin of EDWARD III period
Cica 1351 - 1352
HALF NOBLE

3.32gms of 21-22 Cwt Gold.
These are so rare, I don't have the proper books to id (nor did the experts I spoke to). I am not worried about a full Dutch Provence id. Dutch is good enough :) However if you know, I will be happy to hear?
Valued at auction £300-400 + but depends on full ID

It was badly bent by the plough & I carefully unfolded it (I don't recommend this). Its chewed up abit but at least its all there!

FIND OF A LIFETIME.

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 7,617
  • Before1.JPG
    Before1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 7,303
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 7,257
  • after1.JPG
    after1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 7,195
Upvote 5

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DAY 7 - GOLD HAMMERED - $%+@:?_!!~#

Awesome! Nothing more to say about that!!!

You are very brave to have straightened the bend!

R

RUDY2003

Fabulous Gold Kevin!!!!!
Congradulations on the very excellent best find......

Keep safe...

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

It's still a beautiful coin and a fantastic find. Congratulations.
Bob

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

I told you GOLD was going to be found soon! How deep was it? What kind of signal?

Great find, Kev! You were brave to unbend it...that probably was scary.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A big congratulations! Truly an amazing find. . . I'm so glad you didn't find that yesterday.

HH on day 8!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
I told you GOLD was going to be found soon! How deep was it? What kind of signal?

Great find, Kev! You were brave to unbend it...that probably was scary.

Good signal, sounded like deep lead. Got better when I scrap off the lose mud, then about 4inches deep.

It was scary but I have practiced on silver many times. I knew this was high grade thin gold which would bend more easily than silver. 1 rule: never bend it in the centre of the bend as its already weak.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SUPER! Very Happy for you, the feeling you must have had when first seeing it will last a lifetime I hope!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
SUPER! Very Happy for you, the feeling you must have had when first seeing it will last a lifetime I hope!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

I made some crazyman noises which people may have heard some miles away :D Plus my Rex Hunt Kiss before placing in the pouch.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

That is an Outstanding, Fantastic, Fabulous, and Extremely Wonderful Find! Again, English fields are the best! I am moving to England and I am going to follow you around! The other day, when I answered your post on my thread, I wished you luck in finding Roman Gold. Okay, it's not Roman, but it's GOLD and so cool! Now get back out there and find more!
Congratulations!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
That is an Outstanding, fantastic, fabulous, and extremely wonderful find! Again, English fields are the best! I am moving to England and I am going to follow you around! The other day, when I answered your post on my thread, I wished you luck in finding Roman Gold. Okay, it's not Roman, but it's GOLD and so cool! Now get back out there and find more!
Congratulations!

I still have the Gold Roman 5 year plan. It may happen, but its like winning the lottery & I don't gamble anymore.

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

That is absolutely beautiful Kev. Just think of the histroy behind that coin, who owned it, how it got lost, etc. Truly an outstanding find. Look forward to your afternoon post.
HH Roy

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

CRUSADER said:
bookfisher said:
That is an Outstanding, fantastic, fabulous, and extremely wonderful find! Again, English fields are the best! I am moving to England and I am going to follow you around! The other day, when I answered your post on my thread, I wished you luck in finding Roman Gold. Okay, it's not Roman, but it's GOLD and so cool! Now get back out there and find more!
Congratulations!

I still have the Gold Roman 5 year plan. It may happen, but its like winning the lottery & I don't gamble anymore.

Exactly how I feel. When I started MDing, in October 2004, I never really thought about finding a gold coin, since the odds are it's not going to happen, so why waste time day dreaming about it. Though, since I was hunting old areas (old for the States), I did think about find an early 19th century Capped or Draped Bust silver Half or Quarter. I just thought that was more realistic than gold. Well, when I totally least expected it, I found my 1825 George IV Gold Sovereign on March 23, 2006. Finally, as you stated, finding Roman Gold is like hitting the lottery, but at least in your part of the world, the possibility is always there!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW! Super find!

How thin is it? Looks thinner than a US dime... Also amazing detail for being so old and in the ground so long. It this typical for gold coins?

DCMatt

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done

Kevin,

You absolutly are the best in the U.K. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions