No gold or silver yet, but I'm pretty jazzed about some Spectraflame!

Son&Son

Sep 30, 2018
MI, Lower Peninsula
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up a Compadre last year before a trip to Florida, probably only have about 100 hours on it so far. I've pulled plenty of clad and pull tabs, a few neat relics, but this is my most exciting find so far as a collector of Hot Wheels.

I was hunting in my own back yard, the house dates to around the 1830s so I'm still hoping to pull some older stuff. I was hunting around very casually for promising signals since I don't have any time constraints on covering the property. This gave a pretty choppy maxed out signal on the compadre and I almost didn't dig it thinking it was just another chunk of rusty iron. Turned over the plug and there it was, just a couple inches down.
IMG_7051.JPG

Worked on it for about an hour, running water and a brush followed by a Waterpik (picked up from a rummage sale with the intent of using it in the shop, this was the first time I put it to the test and it worked great for getting all the dirt out of the body. The decals slipped off (not original anyway so no great loss), the side flaps are missing, and sadly the wheels on one side were only held in place by the mud. The scum on the inside of the windshield came off where I could hit it with the Waterpik, but I couldn't quiiiite reach all of it. Did a final pass with toothpaste and a soft brush to take the last bit of scale off the painted surface and some off the exposed metal, was careful to avoid the windshield. Overall, I'm pretty excited about how it cleaned up!
(Spectraflame refers to the style of translucent paint over polished metal that was used on early Hot Wheels cars)

IMG_7054.JPG
IMG_7055.JPG
IMG_7056.JPG

It isn't my rarest or cleanest car in my collection, but for the time being it is certainly my favorite. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 18

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I think that's one of the coolest Hotwheels cars I've ever seen! And you did a great job cleaning it! (But you are going to cost me money, as there's no way I'm NOT going to get a Waterpick now. For shame, sir, for shame...)

OP
OP
S

Son&Son

Sep 30, 2018
MI, Lower Peninsula
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I think that's one of the coolest Hotwheels cars I've ever seen! And you did a great job cleaning it! (But you are going to cost me money, as there's no way I'm NOT going to get a Waterpick now. For shame, sir, for shame...)

If you are patient and keep an eye out, this one only set me back a buck at a church rummage sale. They do seem to be cheap on eBay though. I guess they are not something many people want to buy used... But no problem if you aren't putting it in your mouth! I would look for one with as big of a water reservoir as possible, it goes through it pretty quick and I probably put at least a gallon through mine doing this one car (4 or 5 refills).

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hot Wheels!

Keep digging your yard, you will find the older stuff :icon_thumleft:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I can’t believe the shape that’s in. I remember years ago when I was a kid, I buried some of my redlines on purpose. ( For what rational purpose I can’t conceive) I dug them up years later and the pillars of my model T were almost completely eaten away. Yours is in outstanding shape considering. Luckily I never abused any hotwheels after that and many have survived and are part of my couple thousand car collection.

OP
OP
S

Son&Son

Sep 30, 2018
MI, Lower Peninsula
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Son&Son

Sep 30, 2018
MI, Lower Peninsula
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I can’t believe the shape that’s in. I remember years ago when I was a kid, I buried some of my redlines on purpose. ( For what rational purpose I can’t conceive) I dug them up years later and the pillars of my model T were almost completely eaten away. Yours is in outstanding shape considering. Luckily I never abused any hotwheels after that and many have survived and are part of my couple thousand car collection.

I'm glad you learned your lesson! Haha.

I know there is some variation in metal quality with the early cars so that could be a factor as well. The condition of the car does makes me hopeful for the condition of other things buried in the yard, though.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find, I love hot wheels at leazt to restore it wont cost what a real car would lol

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hot wheels car save. You did an amazing job cleaning it and it looks great. I love finding them too. Congrats

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huh...waterpik clean! Novel idea! Cool car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread