Amazing Trash Find! 1924-1938 Historic Scrap Book!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From 1924 to June 1938 a young man named William Arthur Jacob put together a scrap book that depicted 14 years of his life, from his days in the US Army, to his training in the New York City Police Academy, to his honeymoon which took him all over the nation. William lived it up and had fun at every moment. Long after he completed this one-of-a-kind photo album scrap book and long after he had died someone in his family decided that poor William's life was not actually that interesting and tossed his lovingly-made scrap book into a garbage bag that was placed on the curbside for the trash man. 80 years and 4 months after it was completed I found William's scrap book tonight before it could be destroyed and lost forever. This is just SOME of what I found inside, the book is 55 pages long and contains HUNDREDS of historic photos...

The cover to the book labeled "WAJ":
001.jpg

The title page describing this as the scrap book of William Arthur Jacob who produced the book from 1924- June 1938:
002.jpg

William Arthur Jacob, a funny guy:
003.jpg

William at Camp Smith in 1935:
004.jpg

I would have hung out with these guys if I was alive in 1935.
005.jpg
010.jpg
029.jpg

The guard of a North Carolina chain gang looks towards the camera:
006.jpg

William presents us with his interpretation of President Franklin Roosevelt's "New Deal" as it's never been seen before, the 'Nude Deal':
007.jpg
012.jpg 013.jpg

Fisher Island July 1936:
008.jpg

The Great Depression was hitting some places worse than others, here is 1936 Luray, Virginia:
011.jpg 009.jpg

Shahola Pennsylvania in 1933 still reminds one of the railroad towns of the old west
with its unpaved dirt roads still kicking up dust as the steam train pulls into the station:
020.jpg

1933 Fort Wright, Fishers Island N.Y.
014.jpg
015.jpg
Firing the big cannon:
016.jpg
018.jpg

024.jpg

1934 Brooklyn NY, Possibly Floyd Bennett Field:
026.jpg
025.jpg

NYC Police Academy 1937:
017.jpg

There are many more photos that I can upload later... including ones where they are on a battle ship, New York City Police Academy training photos, Bi-plane barn storming, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 43

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey brother i like your southern pride picture and sayings, my family came from Louisiana and most are still there. my great, great uncle was CONFEDERATE general Henry Hopkins Sibley

Wow!!! General Sibley?!?! My hat goes off to you brother, from what I know of General Sibley, and if memory serves me right, he was born in Natchitoches Louisiana and during the civil was he was placed as the commander of the brigade of volunteer cavalry men in west Texas and call his small unit the Army of New Mexico. After he lost his supplies when his supply train was destroyed he was reassigned to General Taylor around Bayou Teche', Louisiana. Once again, it's pretty cool knowing he was your blood kin!!! Thanks for the kind words concerning my signature and pic... Take care brother and may God Bless you and yours!!! "D"

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save Underminer,, once again you have come up with an extremely interesting piece of personal history. Some of his ancestors may have been cleaning out his house after he passed. Who knows what kind of goodies they decided to keep.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing save-thanks for sharing this. It's a shame that his family or whomever was last in possession of the book threw it out.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice little piece of someone's personal history. Glad you saved it from sure destruction.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find UnderMiner and a wonderful presentation!

Pic # 1 "Puttin On The Ritz" I also noticed in the photo of the soldiers with their rifles, the men up front, appear to be carrying carbines. I can't see the actions but I didn't know they even made a Springfield carbine.

In the photos of Luray Va is there any mention of the names of the subjects? My dad grew up there.

Thanks for posting and I'm recommending a banner for this one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing recovery, are you going to try to reach out and contact the family to return?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may not have had much family survive. I have the hope that it wasn't family that threw it out, but it does happen a lot. When my grandmother passed My dads sisters went through her house and ejected tons of things including my great grandfathers military papers from Switzerland marriage license, naturalization papers and the like. I happened upon them sifting through the trash and helped myself. 10 years or so later they were all frantically looking for the papers because of some ancestry project one of them got involved in. I have to this day kept my mouth shut.

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give anything to find something like this from one of my ancestors. I can't comprehend someone throwing it out. Great save!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a real shame that it was thrown away. Maybe local historical society would be interested in it. I can’t believe the family tossed it. . Pretty sad. Nice save

The Henry L. Ferguson Museum on Fisher's Island has expressed interest in displaying the photos for their history exhibit so I have contacted them regarding this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread