1836 Capped Bust Half Dime, trade brooch, shoe buckle, farthing, etc...

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to where I recently found a Spanish real and started searching along the old road that's adjacent to the cellar hole. 2-3 inches down I popped out a holed 1836 Capped Bust Half Dime. I managed to scrape it while digging it out - wasn't expecting it to be so shallow. Then as soon as I tried to take a picture I got stung in the back by something fierce, which had me off running. Also got some poison ivy on my face :-\. Other good finds included a King George II farthing, iron shoe buckle with anchor chape, a saddle strap tie-down, and what looks like a crowned heart fur trade brooch? Kind of interested in hearing a few more opinions on that piece.
3.jpg 0913181552.jpg

1 - Copy.jpg 2 - Copy.jpg

Upvote 27
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive hunt! :occasion14:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I hit my oldest dime back in the 80's and have hit some nice coins even with the pinpointer's help. Hopefully that's not your best half dime and if it is, you'll find a better one soon!
Can't help with ID but congratulations on a fine hunt and thanks for sharing.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done buddy. I know early on it was common for the English to trade that type of item with the natives. Then at some point the natives decided they liked silver and that’s when the Luckenbooths and the other silver items became popular as trade. This is just a theory on that piece so don’t put too much stock into it. I have zero capped silvers....yes zero. So I’m quite jealous. You’ve had an incredible couple years my friend. Keep up that killer research and putting in that effort in the woods

OP
OP
Dust Eater

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done buddy. I know early on it was common for the English to trade that type of item with the natives. Then at some point the natives decided they liked silver and that’s when the Luckenbooths and the other silver items became popular as trade. This is just a theory on that piece so don’t put too much stock into it. I have zero capped silvers....yes zero. So I’m quite jealous. You’ve had an incredible couple years my friend. Keep up that killer research and putting in that effort in the woods
Thanks for the kind words. And hey, I'll take your Mass shilling over the capped bust any day!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely awesome half-dime! Quite the state we are lucky enough to live in, huh??

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You can heat that coin, just a little, and straighten the rim. It’s all good. Congrats on all the nice finds.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds!:hello2:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the capped bust dime. I'm envious, wonder if anyone in my state has ever found one.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What we won't endure for our hobby, right? 😉 Nice work! 🙌

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poison Ivy and insect stings - Ahhh! The joys of mother nature. No worries on the scratched Capped Bust. If you're going to ding a coin, it might as well be a holed coin.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the owner of that coin got reincarnated into a bee , nice coin ,,,Well done cool finds, I found a silver quarter last year and realized I stepped on a bees hive in the ground I ran must have looked like forrest gump with all my gear I never found the quarter again cause I dropped it lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread