Jewellery, VI-IX A.D.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The X35 coil is doing great....and me too :tongue3:
On the last hunt I found four deep silver coins. It happened for the first time but I couldn't say that it was because of the X35 coil. So I decided to test it in an area where I have searched a lot with the 9inch coil.

Today I went to the area where I have been searching last year. I didn't have to much time later it turned out that there it doesn't matter.
First I found some III-I BC coins.
Last year, because of the fire the area was almost like a park:tongue3: but now the high grass is back and it's not easy going around. Climbing on the top of the hill, ( I'm sure I have passed therea few times) I had a nice whisper. After removing the surface the signal became stronger and the first target came out. It was this bronze ornament.
View attachment 1642576 View attachment 1642575
It was very fragile. Checking the hole for the second time before leaving I had another signal. As I was checking with the pinpointer I felt that I broke something. In that moment I realised that I am so ..... Whatever you think. It was a beautiful earring.
I also realised that I was digging some tomb goods. I made myself comfortable laying down and I began digging very slowly. Close to the ring was a copper necklace. First I removed the second half of the ring but as I was preparing to remove the necklace I noticed another ring. :headbang:
I couldn't believe it.
The rings had some missing parts. I also noticed some small pieces of silver so after removing the necklace I attached the HF coil and collected every small pieces.
View attachment 1642894
View attachment 1642895
Moving the soil to check better any small targets I could collect also some bones and two teeth.
Before leaving I checked again but nothing was left there.
Nothing was left there but just 70 cm on the right I had another signal. The first ring came out with the finger still in it. View attachment 1642585
I realised that it was the position of the hands. Veryyy impressive. No other bones but very strange that the finger bone was still there. Checked again the hole and two other rings came out. View attachment 1642588
So, it was a lady and probably she had one ring on one hand and other two on the other.
After cleaning the finds, I noticed on the big ornament group, three very thin gold pieces.
The small silver pieces probably have been a porfume container.
This is it
View attachment 1642599
View attachment 1642603 View attachment 1642605 View attachment 1642608
This was an unusual experience. I don't even want to show the coins that I found.
Almost forgot.
Near the top of the hill another signal brought out this beautiful fibula
View attachment 1642611
View attachment 1642612
Good luck to you all :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 13

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my god, that is a seriously amazing find. Congratulations! Maybe you should call an archaeologist? Seems to me this could be historically significant and should be recorded.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"...with the finger still in it" !? Wow Vince, that would fer sure freak me out!! Is that something that occurs over there often? But congrats on the great finds...as long as you don't buy into the bad juju, that is. A find like that here would involve police, coroners etc...Crazy stuff Vince! Your finds cleaned up very nice by the way, Ddf.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my god, that is a seriously amazing find. Congratulations! Maybe you should call an archaeologist? Seems to me this could be historically significant and should be recorded.

Thanks buddy. It is a special find. Till now I've been searching for coins and rings.
I already did. I have an appointment for tomorrow. Probably they will ask to get to the area where I found them.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"...with the finger still in it" !? Wow Vince, that would fer sure freak me out!! Is that something that occurs over there often? But congrats on the great finds...as long as you don't buy into the bad juju, that is. A find like that here would involve police, coroners etc...Crazy stuff Vince! Your finds cleaned up very nice by the way, Ddf.

Thanks DDF
No, it's not usual. This is my third year metal detecting and I have found a lot of stuff but never stuff like this.
I hope the lady doesn't want her things back :icon_scratch:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You never cease to amaze. Thanks for sharing with us. Killer finds, congrats.

Good luck, and get rid of those teeth, they are creeping me out.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Tom

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's freakin crazy grab the gold say a prayer lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Pro. These kind of ornaments is not very common in this area but eventhough the archeologists told me that 20 years ago, when the new road was build, they discovered more than 20 tombs. The one that I found was 30 meters away from the road so it might be just a case. If not, probably,bit us another necropoli. This Friday, they will come to check the area. They said that I have collected only the metal targets and most probably there should be other stuff, for example a necklace with colored stones or even a small pot with some coins. The ornaments indicate a high class that's why they think about the pot of coins.
I'm waiting for Friday.
:headbang:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Stellar!

It would probably startle me a bit but we're told in our religious education that the body will return to the earth. I don't remember anything that it mentions about the belongings. My wife had an ancestor that attended West Point. When he passed they buried him in his Cadet Tunic. They removed all the buttons, twenty I think, because it was a common belief that anything shiny on the body would attract the Devil. Southern superstition or a great excuse to keep the valuables in the family?

Do you think these are more finds from the Illyrians?

Keep doing the great work Vince and thanks for sharing!-------Phil

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Stellar!

It would probably startle me a bit but we're told in our religious education that the body will return to the earth. I don't remember anything that it mentions about the belongings. My wife had an ancestor that attended West Point. When he passed they buried him in his Cadet Tunic. They removed all the buttons, twenty I think, because it was a common belief that anything shiny on the body would attract the Devil. Southern superstition or a great excuse to keep the valuables in the family?

Do you think these are more finds from the Illyrians?

Keep doing the great work Vince and thanks for sharing!-------Phil

Hi Phil
I think it's just an excuse to keep the valuable things. I think so because it's different from buried.
The grave can't be Illyrian because the ornaments looks Macedonian. I think they belong to the 7th century.
The big plate of copper probably was a hair pin and it was covered on gold. That's the opinion of the archeologists. That white stuff was over the copper to create a relief and than they covered it in gold.
Cheers Phil

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I'm going to keep the teeth. :dontknow: Why not!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure on your Laws, but we have to report human bones immediately & stop digging. To be honest I wouldn't be comfortable taking home human remains, however I'm sure I must have had a few grave goods that have been nicked up by the plough.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure on your Laws, but we have to report human bones immediately & stop digging. To be honest I wouldn't be comfortable taking home human remains, however I'm sure I must have had a few grave goods that have been nicked up by the plough.

This is the same area where I have been searching last year and I'm sure that in two or more threads I have mentioned that there are human bones every where. Plenty of human bones not just teeth or a ring with finger in it. Nobody claimed about that and I remember I posted some pics too.
The laws are the same with the time when British soldiers had a special mission after second WW: to take home as much stuff as they could,even marble bakaustres or bigger stuff.
The problem is that every where you dig you can find ancient stuff but not all of them is intresting for the archeology.

Here is a post where I mentioned the human bones
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/570242-byzantine-area-continued.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread