Hobbies keep you alive.

night crusader

Jan 18, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just lost my Momma a couple months ago to cancer and was very depresses. Being in the Brotherhood of Marine Combat Veterans helps me understand advice better and one really incredible statement that stood out from a Brother was that our bodies are dying when we lose motivation to enjoy our hobbies. So I took that statement to heart and this is a brief 30 min. hunt that sparked my love for this FUN! hobby. HH EVWRYONE!! 20181014_133707_HDR.jpg

Upvote 31

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the loss of your Mother. Stay busy and enjoy every moment out in the field detecting!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. Enjoy the things you love to do now because you never know what your future will be.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long ago I got tangled up in something that chewed me up and spat me out as a hollow, emotionally numbed shell of my former self, and I probably would have said I felt depressed if I was granted the gift of being able to feel anything at all. What saved me was jumping headfirst into my childhood hobby of digging antique bottles, and while at first I didn't experience the joys and thrills of discovery that I knew I would have under normal circumstances, I kept at it almost obsessively; digging all day until exhaustion and doing it again and again until I remembered what joy felt like, and then what peace and contentment felt like, and soon enough my mind and body and soul were healed. I'm truly sorry for your loss and thankful for your service, please know that there will be many a beautiful sunrise to behold when you make it out of the dark valley. Good luck, hang in there and keep huntin' hard!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mother.

May the hobby bring you the needed peace to heal.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I am sorry to hear about that. Thanks for the great reminder. Keep after it. Good finds and better times will come.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Plumbata, I second that!

I was a 911 responder, kept away from my family for an extended period. It reminds me a bit of a line from a Gordon Lightfoot song, "Does anyone Know where the Love Of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to Hours?" Or the days to months. Healing can only come from your own personal strength, not pills. Hobbies are the best medicine. I can sit at my bench and work for days on a jewelry casting and not care a bit if it takes me one attempt or ten!

Best wishes to all!----------Phil

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there Devildog.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think about losing her more than the memories and time you had by having her. Im glad you had fun that's what She would want Im sure.... Tommy

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, thank you for your service to our great country.

I don't know how old you are and it really doesn't matter; it's always hard when a boy looses his Mom. I am so very sorry that you are going through that valley. As I tell people, the feeling of loss never goes away, it just gets further away. For me, it was the loss of my father.

My mother entered the presence of the Creator a year and a half ago when I was 65. It was easier for me because she passed away at 93 from the devastation of Alzheimer's disease.

I have to agree that keeping interested in a hobby or your job is important for good mental (and physical)health. I just had my physical and, other than correctly captioning the obvious that I need to lose some weight, my doctor's advice was for me to stay physically active and socially connected. As it turns out, I am over-run with hobbies and we have a group of old guys who get together for breakfast on Fridays. Nothing like a total of 332 years telling stories at the Waffle House.

Keep on digging!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sorry for your loss. I lost my father to cancer last November. We all respond to loss differently. Take time for yourself and your grief will subside given time.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your lost never easy time to go through. My job turn out into a nightmare when they change my boss many years ago. Everything after went wrong in my family and in my own life.Nothing really matter for a while. I went back to my hobby without that much conviction or interest. My machine was a stick. But being out, meeting new people practicing the hobby, gave me some fresh air ,and slowly my mind turn. I started to appreciate life again and enjoy it .This hobby has made a real treatment to bring me back to life.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your loss night crusader. Hang in there buddy, it does get better. Along with time, the hobby is most definitely a healer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread