Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friend Lucas and I hunted a site a week or so ago that we hunted last April and he found a great conditioned SC button and a lockplate there previously and I walked away with a handful of mostly Confederate bullets as well as an 1863 Indian head cent some colonial relics and homesite relics scattered in the mix. The history of this site shows that it was close to a small battle atop a hill, there was also a small colonial house site there which was the main reason we wanted to try it. We think it was used as a camp or hospital site before and after the battle. It had signs of both Union and Confederate occupation. We stopped back there and were greeted by the incredible and hospitible homeowners.

The first thing Lucas finds, less than 15 minutes in, is a musket lockplate from a m1842 .69 caliber rifle and shortly after that he finds a beautiful carbine sling buckle! The carbine sling buckle was on both of our bucket lists!

I had nothing at this point but eventually started finding a few bullets and then quickly got into a small patch with some very nice dandy buttons in the mix. The finds started thinning out and we decided to hit another part of the site which looked promising. My first target in this area was a New York button and we kept finding bullets and various early brass targets. We stayed in this area for a little while and then I decided to venture into another part of the yard and there was not much in it, but there was one lone keeper... and it was a really good one. I had no idea what it was at the time, which was a good thing. It turned out to be a Model 1819 shoudler belt plate. Apparently this is one of only 5,000 ever produced!!! This was produced in 1819 and used from 1819-1828 by George Armitage for the U.S. militia. There's a high chance that plate could've been used by a Confederate soldier.

After that discover, we continued to find a plentiful amount of colonial, victorian, and Civil War finds until it got dark. Other finds included a total of 13 bullets, several of which were altered or carved by soldiers, the back of a US General Service, a New York state button, part of a “J-hook” from a soldiers knapsack, an epaulette scale, the handle of a small knife or possibly a fleam, a WWI collar disk, a hem weight, a clip on earring with a glass face, a harmonica reed, three late 1700s flat buttons, portion of a mid 1700s tombac spoon, and some other miscellaneous colonial objects.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

us.png

Screenshot_28.png

Screenshot_29.png

us1.png

Upvote 86

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice!!! BANNER

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a outstanding hunt! All great finds but that shoulder plate is killer. Banner find in my book. Congratulations!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner buckle

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! That is INCREDIBLE! Banner all the way! Congrats!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful historic buckle! A banner find any day! Must have been a rush seeing that come out of the ground.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great piece of history, congrats

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Never even HEARD of one. Congrats man!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that this plate deserves a trip across the top. Banner vote headed your way. Good luck!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I am partial but I love hunts like these. I hope that landowner continues to be your friend. Great finds. Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very set of finds. That plate is a real winner!

Congrats and good luck.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds. The Plate is a awesome save. Congrats!!
Voted Banner. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super finds. The Plate is a awesome save. Congrats!!
Voted Banner. Good luck.

Very set of finds. That plate is a real winner!

Congrats and good luck.

Maybe I am partial but I love hunts like these. I hope that landowner continues to be your friend. Great finds. Congrats!

Me too! They said come whenever, including when they aren’t home, which is rare and awesome. Their kids are in college so their bird left the nest so to speak, so I’m guessing they enjoy the company. Thank you!

Nice finds!

nice!!! BANNER

That's a outstanding hunt! All great finds but that shoulder plate is killer. Banner find in my book. Congratulations!

Wow very nice! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks so much everyone!!! I’m beyond thrilled with this find, it’s pretty safe to say that this is my best military find if not my best find yet!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread