Quick Question

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I just have a quick question for everyone... I went back to a park yesterday where I have been finding old coins. Last time I was there I found a Victory nickle - but, it was not silver anymore - more red. I tried to clean it - but, the coloring is still red.

Well, last night I went back for a little bit and found a buffalo nickle - I can't make out the date - but, the condition is the same - I washed it with soap and water and it is still red and pitted.

Is there something I can do to bring these coins back or is it too late due to the soil condition. The soil is very thick and clay like. Is this what is causing the condition of the coins? Just curious.

Thanks for any input.

If you want me to post a picture - let me know and I will get the camera hooked up.

Thanks.

JadeWhiskey

Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems that those two coins (buffalo and liberty nickels) always look bad, no matter how much cleaning i do. i cant get them back to good condition, i just hope they come out of the ground looking good.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the dates are worn off then neither have any value so cleaning them won't hurt . For nickles I use salt and white vinegar . Pour in a glass just enough vinegar to cover your nickle and add one table spoon of salt . Stir it up and drop in your nickle . Let it soak for about half hour and then turn it over and give it another half hour . Your nickle should turn a dull grey color . Rinse it off and brush your nickle with fine steelwool . It will shine nicely after you do this . Don't try this if you think you have a rare dated coin . I do this only on nickles with worn off dates .

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I tried something similar with vinegar and baking soda. It really wasn't too kind to my coins. Be careful whatever you do.

OP
OP
jadewhiskey

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone... I am so nervous cleaning them - but, I want them to look good.

I had a 1864 IH that I tried the peroxide method on and it didn't work toooooo good. Started to work but, I think I let the coin sit to long... Oh well - live and learn. I know I won't clean IHs in peroxide anymore...

I will have to see if I can find nic-a-date. I was excited about the buffalo - but, can't make out a date... I will definately be going back to that park... We have found alot of old coins there...

Thanks all - talk soon... Good Hunting.

JadeWhiskey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread