Awesome Yard Hunt: Spanish Silver, DBLC, and Tons of Indian Head Pennies!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my eye on this yard for awhile and I finally got the go-ahead this past weekend. The owner said it had been hunted before by her son and another detectorist years before so my expectations were low, but I ended up surprising myself. The ground wasn't especially mineralized and most of these targets where within 6 inches of the surface so I'm not sure how so many coins were missed. This is by far my new record for Indian Head pennies in a single hunt:

DSC00233.JPG

All of them along with the barber dime were found somewhat clustered in one section of the side yard and the dates are grouped together too. Not a good spot for laundry, but I'm thinking some sort of farm stand would make sense. The IHP dates are 1883, 1884, 1895, 1897, 1901, (2x) 1903, and 1907. The barber dime is an 1908.

DSC00250.JPG DSC00251.JPG

Much to my surprise a 1775 1 real turned up in the middle of the IHP cluster. It was a very choppy signal and I didn't think for one second it was silver until the plug fell apart. It's well worn so I can't get the mintmark, but the date is at least still there. In terms of condition though the two large cents really take the cake!

DSC00237.JPG DSC00241.JPG

1808 isn't an especially rare date, but you can't beat the condition. The ground usually chews up the classic heads even when other copper coins are reserved. The draped bust is also a stunner:

DSC00245.JPG DSC00248.JPG

I especially like the look of the mottled patina and fortunately I was able to leave most of it in place. Both of these large cents were 10" down, but gave clear 95 signals on the Deus so I dug nice large plugs on both and didn't even come close to scratching them. You have to love it when it works out like that! :laughing7:

There were a handful of other coins including two buffalo nickels (1916 and 1920) and a few wheats.

DSC00252.JPG

I did find one crusty V-Nickel that looks like it could be an 1889, but the ground wasn't as kind to it as it was the other coins. There were also a handful of buttons, but not as many as I would have expected:

DSC00253.JPG

What was also odd is there was almost none of the usual Victorian trash you usually come across in old yards. Things like oil lamp parts or spoon bits which I usually find in abundance. Fortunately I'm far from done with the yard; this was all in just one section so I have high hopes for the next hunt!

Upvote 57

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta love those yard coppers. Much better chance of getting a nice one vs a farm field

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome finds. That would make anybody smile and smile and smile. Very nice!!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A most excellent hunt. Yard coppers, IHs, LCs, doesn't matter always look better than ones from the fields. But yours are in most excellent shape even by that standard. I wonder if alkaline vs. acid soil makes the difference. The Classic Head LC is among the better ones I've ever seen dug. Congrats!

John

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG what an awesome hunt! Very cool! A real and a bunch of IHP's! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again you produce some sweet finds

Ozark Redneck

Oct 14, 2018
Dover Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats WOW nice hunt if I had a permission like that one My wife would have to bring my bed and meals to me. I would not leave LOL

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only wish to find in a life time what you found in a day. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer old coin shooting! :icon_thumleft:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a great job in that yard, I hope it keeps giving. The large cents are in real nice shape. I wish they came out that nice here. They usually are all eaten up by the acid soil.

Keep swingin and keep us posted.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a haul!! my best day so far on Indians was 2, with 3 out of the same yard my best, congrats on an awesome pile of Indians!!:notworthy:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Smashing good hunt. Congrats on the cent quadfecta. Beautiful coins too.

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible hunt! those large cents are in awesome condition. The soil was very nice to them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread