Weekend Trip to Virginia... ANOTHER Bucket Lister!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings all! My metal detecting buddies and I decided to take a weekend trip to Virginia to hunt one of their old sites. One of my buddies and his brother had pulled two crates of Minie Balls (over 1000 total) out of the area, so we wanted to try hunting it with better machines than they had back then. We arrived at the site after a 7 hour drive and immediately turned on the machines. No more than 5 minutes in and one of my buddies pulls out a dropped Sharps bullet! A few minutes later and I pull out a dropped 3-ringer. After 20 minutes or so, I got a fairly strong brass signal. The owner lets people hunt out there, so I figured it was another shotgun shell. I dig down and see some green brass in the side of the hole. I could see that it had a weird shape to it, so I stuck my digging tool behind it and popped out something awesome! In my hand I saw something that I've been waiting for since I started relic hunting over 20 years ago... a Burnside Carbine casing!! After regaining my breath, I grabbed a toothpick from my box and started scraping the dirt out of it and saw some very deteriorated black powder coming out of the bottom. I knew the bullet had to be in the hole with it! Sure enough, there was another signal just a few inches away, and it was the bullet! I had just found a complete Burnside cartridge! These never come out of the ground in Indiana. Anyway, after a few hours of hunting, we had found a few more minie balls, but no other brass. We didn't find a whole lot on this trip, but the Burnside cartridge was well worth it to me. I'll make another post for the second day hunt as soon as I can get the videos edited!

Attachments

• VAhunt2.jpg
    VAhunt2.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 113
  • VAhunt3.jpg
    VAhunt3.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 93
  • VAhunt4.jpg
    VAhunt4.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 132
  • VAhunt8.jpg
    VAhunt8.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 108
  • VAhunt20.jpg
    VAhunt20.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 40

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
very nice!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!

Those don't pop up everyday even in VA .

How did you reconnect the bullet to the cartridge?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mighty nice hunt PinFire.Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to go to a state like that rich in history great post grats on your finds also

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I would love to find one of those. Glad you were able to get the whole thing. Great post!

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve dug many Burnsides, but I’ve never dug a complete one, they usually rot/desolve in the ground. Congratulations on a nice find.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice!

Those don't pop up everyday even in VA .

How did you reconnect the bullet to the cartridge?

Davers,

It's just sitting loose in the case. I'm afraid to do anything else with it since the mouth of the case is super thin and delicate.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Va. Hunt. Congrats!! I was just in the area a week or so ago, N. On the Valley pike. Still hunting my bucket lister there...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers,It's just sitting loose in the case. I'm afraid to do anything else with it since the mouth of the case is super thin and delicate.

I was blessed to find a Calvary Spot now 5 + years ago a-lot of the Soldiers were armed with Burnside Rifles, I dug many Cases both Flat & open & if I recall I only got 1-4 complete cartridges (the best & strongest one had /has the bullet in backwards , the other complete ones are very weak at the 'Neck' . Most have the Brass ring around the Bullet , IMO these were used as 'Fire Starters' tho I did find a good few with the broken bullet & cartridge in the same hole & tho I have not laid eyes on them in a few years (knowing me & my OCD) I kept the bullets found with the cartridges together.

Tho most bullets show powder burn At the time of digging I could tell I if I had broken the cartridge & 95% had broke (at the neck ) before I dug them.
Since & before then I have dug a case or Maybe ? a Burnside bullet all across my hunting area .

They are among my favorite finds as are all finds from this site.

P.S. 14 CW Buttons in 2018 is an amazing stat. I'm good to find 2-8 a year & when I get more than 1 it's they usually come from the same site.

Again Congratz on your Bucket List find , I hope to get to hunt in VA someday.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. We also make a once a year trip to Virginia to visit friends and I take along the detector to check out an old farmhouse behind their home. I have done this two years and have found some nice coins and tokens but nothing Civil War related. The area they live in isn't close to any Civil War action.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Still looking for a burnside slug, finding a complete one would be super for me. I hope it was for you.

Keep swingin.

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all! My metal detecting buddies and I decided to take a weekend trip to Virginia to hunt one of their old sites./QUOTE]

Where in Virginia did you hunt?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread