paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will almost certainly be my favorite find from this site. I went back to the yard that produced the amazing large cents and numerous Indian Head cents last weekend. Unfortunately much of the yard is like a swamp due to the recent rains so I had to avoid large sections, but I was determined to get in at least a little more searching there.

Sadly the coin finds were pretty sparse this time around, but this relic I just had to post about. It's taken me a couple of days of careful work with Andre's Pencils to bring out the design and writing since it's pewter and looks to be dated 1884, but I'm so glad it held up as well as it did:

DSC00269.JPG DSC00271.JPG

Some research revealed that it's from the W. W. Rockwell Post No 125 in Pittsfield Massachusetts. I found numerous examples of medals and other keepsakes that were made by the various posts for attendees of the national encampments. What's particularly interesting is the date range, September 22-27 1884, doesn't correspond to any of the national encampment dates. That along with the word "Fair" on the top makes me think it's from a smaller event, but that's as far as the research took me. I couldn't find any of the same medals online and the detailed Massachusetts State seal on the back is also an unusual component that I didn't see on other medals.

I actually have an ancestor, Andrew Liddell, that was a member of the GAR which I have to credit with recognizing the acronym. I'm glad I did because it would have been difficult identifying this medal otherwise and it also got me researching into his involvement some more. I dug out his heirlooms relating to the GAR for a photo:

DSC00267.JPG

Just a few pieces, but the patch has his post number, 42, which was located in Lowell. It's very rare that dug history relates to family history, even in such a small way, so I'm especially glad to have found this piece, mysterious as it may be. The research will continue, but for now this will occupy a special place alongside our family's heirlooms.

DSC00263.JPG DSC00264.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 24

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is fantastic! And thank you for including the history behind it, as it makes me appreciate it even more! Also, you did a great job cleaning it, as I know pewter is subject to chipping and fracturing!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find and post

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool. I am going to be in Pittsfield on Wednesday but I didn't bring my machine on this trip :BangHead:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very cool! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Fantastic job of cleaning. Awesome post on the history of GAR and your family tie to GAR!

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...I will agree with you that this find in itself is worth a post and a good story. I think you have something really cool there and can hear the excitement coming out in your words. Plus the time you took to get it to show the details. I love anything related to the G.A.R. Congrats to you Mister.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Wouldn't that look nice next to a MA copper ! Great find! Congrats.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the nice post. Congrats on the GAR find.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice save!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thing to do your a good person hats off to you GREAT POST

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful piece of history. Good job on the cleaning, well done.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic, great story. The fact that it is pewter and survived to look that nice is incredible! I find when I've researched things that often the internet can only take you so far and then you kind of hit a wall with the same stuff coming up over and over. Experts are helpful, or maybe the Pittsfield historical society (if there is one) could help you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread