tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Traveled about an hour away from the house yesterday with the Minelab Equinox 800 and tried a spot that I have dug civil war relics at for the last two years. I previously found a M1861 Springfield trigger guard and bayonet, as well as, a bayonet at this site. In 2016 I found a US Cartridge box plate at the same spot.

Got out of the truck and immediately dug a 36 Cal pistol ball, which is my first bullet at this site oddly enough! My third signal was a deep brass signal which was a high tone but the number reading was changing as I swung from different directions. After the first shovel full or dirt was removed the tone became more solid and my heart started beating a little faster. I noticed lead in the bottom of the hole about 9-10" and could tell it was a breast plate. This was my first eagle breast plate so couldn't be happier with the find! Didn't think much more about it and wrote it off as a great find and a personal bucket lister. I went on detecting for a couple more hours and left the dirt on the plate. My finds after that were a rusty camp knife, flat button and a few other misc. iron items. Nothing to write home about in other words!

Once I was ready to leave I used a water bottle to wash off some of the clay mud that was on the plate and to my amazement two brass hooks appeared on the back of the plate. I thought this is interesting and knew right then that I had a little more than a breast plate. I could tell by looking at the broken third hook that this was converted into a belt buckle. The part that I didn't know is that it was done by Confederate hands. I posted this on another online group and almost immediately began getting info that the hooks were Confederate and match the hooks that were installed on CSA pewter plates. A legend in the civil war relic community confirmed that these breast plates were used for Confederate troops as belt plates and the hooks were installed by Noble Bros out of Rome, Georgia in an attempt to supply belt buckles to the Confederate Army. So basically, I was shocked that this went from a US breast plate to a rare Confederate belt plate! Never judge a plate by its cover seemed appropriate for this thread! Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• Breastplate CS.jpg
    Breastplate CS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20181114_115931133.jpg
    IMG_20181114_115931133.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
  • Breastplate CS- Back.jpg
    Breastplate CS- Back.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 48

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a killer find. You gonna clean it more and post pics.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer find! The plate alone is great but what you have found out about it puts it over the top, and that's where it should be! Congratulations!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! You still using the AT max and pro these days or is the 800 the new favourite?

Chub

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats gesrgeous what a relic amazing find

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy:
Very Nice Find. Just AWESOME

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW,That has to be one rare plate conversion! Congrats!!!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's going to end up on top! Congrat's on a superb find!! My vote is in!!!! Come on guy's, you'll probably never see anther on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowa Dale

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's as sweet as it gets! Congrats! I bet that beauty rang up like a pepsi can.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one fantastic save! You did a great job on the research. Congratulations.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner! nice find

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It a beauty. Congrats

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the comments folks!

Chub- After hunting spots that I pounded with the Garrett AT series detectors the Equinox 800 is definitely my go to machine from here on. Much better machine at unmasking non ferrous metals in thick iron!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread