Discrete Nature Call Nets Two Spanish Silvers

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, we've all been there. Out in the middle of a big old field, and need some privacy to take a simple number one. I was with a couple of guys years ago who went all together at the same time along the edge of a field, sort of like a police line up; they were facing into the brush of course but were still in plain sight! I thought they should have been a bit more discrete as a residence was located nearby.

Earlier this week, I was out detecting and had to go - no, not leave - go for a number one. I had been detecting for 2+ hours and dug one toasted copper (Are there any other kind? :icon_scratch:) and had not much else to show for my efforts other than a need to do my business somewhere in the brush - badly. I had to take a bit of walk along the field as the brush all along the side was too thick to enter. I really had to go (again - the other kind) and quickened my pace until I stopped short for a promising signal. Certainly, my bladder felt like it was ready to explode :icon_silent: :icon_silent: :icon_silent:, but heck, I'm going to keep swinging as I walk even if my swing is not exactly wide and overlapping. So I toss down my digger to mark the spot and continue walking, nearly running :walk: down of the side of the field and find a small clearing. Ahhhhhhhh! Okay, now I'm good to go. I walk back onto the field take about five steps and hit on a good signal. It turned out to be a small Spanish half-reale. It was real worn, but hey, I'm not going to complain about scoring Spanish silver on a bathroom run. I worked the immediate area around the coin and found nothing else. I then proceeded to the signal marked by my hand digger. I cut a plug and what do I find? I recovered another Spanish silver half-reale dated 1786. I found nothing else worth mentioning for the next hour or so. Here's some photos.

dug condition

PB120649.JPG

end result after treatment with short electrolysis cook

PB120654.JPG

PB120657.JPG

Towards the end of my search, I considered chugging down some bottled water that might eventually require another retreat into the woods and the opportunity to come upon more Spanish silver, but that would have been just silly or maybe not? ???

Upvote 54

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So maybe someone heeded the call of nature at that same spot many many years ago, dropped his trousers and lost his coins.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice unintended finds, hope I can be that fortunate one day.

Since we have digressed into nature calls while detecting - I'll add mine.

For Tommy another Ann Arbor story - My brother lives in the north end of A2 in an duplex that originally started as 1890's barn. The landlord owns that building as well as couple of houses right next door. They all share a common parking area in the back yard. It was an early April weekday morning a couple years ago and I had the day off so I decided to detect there, I had found some older wheats and a mercury dime there last time. The backyard area is not all detectable as there is a lot gravel and a garage but there is some grass and old trees. It was about 45 and light rain so no one was around I started to detect and I see someone pull up I said hi and kept detecting. About half hour later I had to take a whiz and no one was around since it was cold and rainy so I found big tree in the corner of the yard pretty well obscured for view from all directions and took care of business, just about finished I look up and see the guy I said hi to and he has a phone in his outstretched hand and says the landlord wants to talk to me. I felt pretty dumb took the phone and talked to the landlord who I had met before and he just laughed and said don't worry about it. I talked to the landlord later on and apologized again, he said the guy that called is kind of an uptight pain in the ass and no to worry about it at all. Any way I think I found a 20's wheat but did feel pretty dumb about that.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a small coin spill, 42 Walker, two mercs and several wheaties by a huge pine, always wondered if that was from a nature break. awesome silver

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats chaser! Gives a whole new meaning to the term dowsing! LOL

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a large field one time when I had the "#1 call". Not a tree or bush for a mile, so, the best I could do was use a nearby fence post. After watering that post real good, I detected down the fence line a bit, until I saw a sign hanging on the fence wire which gave me a sobering pause. It said "Do not touch, electric fence" Either it wasn't turned on or I didn't make the shocking connection ( I didn't touch the fence to find out either). I'm a bit more cautious where I "go" now.

Fence probably would have given you just a small jolt. As country kids with not much to do we would all hold hands and person at the head of the line would grab the electric fence and we would all squeal as the current passed through each of us. Course a couple of those kids were “never quite right” when they grew up.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back before WW2 fishing rods made of spring steel were state of the art. When steel was collected for the war effort, that sent the sporting goods world into a tail spin and it was looking like back to a cane pole, was in the offing. Some ingenious shark got his hands on a boatload of old dueling swords. The SG manufacturers all jumped on the boat and started using them to make short Bait Casting rods, and they worked great! As a child I had one as many of my contemporaries did also. A friend of mine was trout fishing in a local creek and bent down to crawl under a watergate. He didn't know the watergate was also hot. He was crawling in the water when the rod touched the watergate and he said it rattled his teeth something fierce! When he passed out his hands let go of the rod and he face planted in the cold water. That 60 degree water in the face saved his life.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All interesting “end result” stories! LOL

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! It's funny I make it a point to try to hydrate before detecting as I don't want to carry a water bottle. It often puts me in that situation a short while into detecting. The woods. No problem. The city park? Challenging. haha!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds