May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is the 5th new Roman Site we have discovered this year!

Firstly thanks to Land-Mag who lived up to his name & got the Cru'Team permission to hunt this field. The farmer is a 5th generation land-owner & has never let anyone detect before & has his land tightly wrapped up in security. Land-Mag did the research & shared it with him, & this field is the only one offered at this point, so it tested our targeting skills. A blank would not have impressed him & that might have been the end of it. I've tried many times on here to explain how we have become so successful at getting land, & a big part of that is our reputation. He did take up a couple of our references, but who he picked we have no idea because he knows so many of our land-owners.

Land-Mag will tell you that when we parked up & I saw the field, I was like a whippet out of the stalls. I knew exactly where I needed to be & within 5 minutes, 2nd dig I had a hammered. (curve ball, as we are Roman Hunting...) Within 20 minutes I had 2 Roman Coins - Site Confirmed.:headbang:

(Cru'dad not present) Land-Mag & I did 3.5 hrs of what I would call sampling the whole field (scouting, not gridding), I wanted to know the big picture spread of finds & I can tell you we will need to grid at least 15 acres, as its a huge spread - but a light spread, no real heavy hotspots;

20 Roman Coins
Roman Locking Mech. Terminal
Jetton
18th C Leather Mount
Roman Lead Spindal Whorl
1st C AD Roman Fibula (Brooch)
Mid 19th C West Derby Union Button - very historic & rare button from an official working in the Poor-House.:icon_thumright:
Charles I 1641-3 HalfGroat

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 44

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an opportunity ! I think you'll be digging goodies from many centuries out of there ! Nice hammered !

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crusader, The work house button is something thats not found often. Good find TP
I agree, a rare piece of social history & a button I'm very pleased with.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! What a great permission! Congrats

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Great hunt Cru. Just show's what a few years of swinging a detector, research/intel., hard work, honesty and a little luck can do. I like the button too. Do you find that those that followed built where the Romans had or once the Romans went away nobody built there again? Hope your meeting with the owner went well and it opens the rest of the virgin ground to you. Good luck.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never get tired of looking at your finds. Good providence on your next hunts.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Cru. Just show's what a few years of swinging a detector, research/intel., hard work, honesty and a little luck can do. I like the button too. Do you find that those that followed built where the Romans had or once the Romans went away nobody built there again? Hope your meeting with the owner went well and it opens the rest of the virgin ground to you. Good luck.
Depends. We hunt mostly rural homesteads/farms or small rural settlements which generally never developed into a later Saxon town. This can be for many different reasons including the drying up of a spring or water source. However, it is well known that the Saxon's that migrated to Britain after the fall of the Romans were not keen on living where they were.
However, most of the big Roman Towns did develop & do still exist today, but of course that makes them under concrete.:thumbsup:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
W:tongue3:W .. Excellent hunt Crus! .. Thanks for the show! :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions