Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ol' cat is getting old. I really skipped the summer season, haven't View attachment IMG_1410.jpg View attachment IMG_1412.jpg been feeling all that well. Soooo....a few weeks ago a few of us started going over some of our old honey holes. We went to some of best areas from last year. A couple we had hit so hard so didn't find much. Another was just a plain bust.
ance of actually finding something. A few of us found minies ( I did not find any.) I headed with one friend up a little hill and got a nice, flat c
The third site, which I have taken a few people two was looking like a disappointment also, however the farmer had (gasp) actually turned the soil so now there was a better cholonial button in amongst some coal scraps and a lot of iron nails. It took forever but I finally got a nice silver cufflink, a few more buttons and a breast plate or horse tack piece, it's hard to tell as it is heavy stamped brass with a lead fill. A Rev War military button was found on the site. This was just a day ago.

I kept circling the small area and got a solid 92 signal on the Deus, which is normally either silver, quarter sized or a square of aluminum. I called my bud over with his new Equinox and his machine saw it and he interpreted it as a minie ball at an 18 on the Equinox. It was a nice sized, solid piece. I took a huge bite of dirt out and flipped the muddy plug over. Out pops a 1772 2 Escudo coin! Of course, I didn't have my glasses on and couldn't see what it was lying on the ground so yelled at my friend, what is it? What is it? After all I can't see what the thing was! The reve View attachment IMG_1416.jpg howed. He picked it up and at that point I think I because speechless as he said I didn't react much. Well, surprise will do that to you.

We also found a lot of other cool early pieces. The pottery is 18th century but we didn't find much of it. Enjoy. View attachment IMG_1410.jpg

Upvote 146
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found zero half reales ever! I am on the right sites, but have never found one. I have found some 1 and 2 reales from houses that were gone before 1800. All are very detailed. A couple are from battlefields, so were about 20-30 years old when they were lost. The earlier the coins were lost after minting, the better the details. Since the US allowed foreign silvers and gold coins to be used until the early 1850's, a lot of the worn out coins were lost 50-100 years after they were minted and worn almost to nothing. That's what is making the difference. My cut Spanish silvers are crisp in detail. I don't have many of those either. My two eight reales from beaches on the Atlantic are marginal, they were black and encrusted when I found them and after careful mechanical cleaning, are still marginal.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0642.JPG this is from a couple weeks ago. It makes five I've found. This is the best of them all for detail. Poor quality silver. You'll get the sound of a small silver tombac. Not scratchy but not strong. Definitely doesn't scream silver. Don't know what it rings up. I never take out the remote besides to turn it on. IMG_0639.JPG
Now those bigger reales. "Nada" never found one yet.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the dude on the coin really look like that in real life. He's one ugly SOB wow

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, since I'm looking on very, very early sites, my reales are like new. I don't have any pics, I only get about 1 a year or so. I also have two really, really early silver groats or pennies or whatever they are called from 17th century sites. I'll try to get a couple pics tomorrow. My last silver was a cut piece of an 8 reale at about 4-5" and it screamed at me. Funny thing about this Escudo, we only found a grand total of 8 colonial buttons nearby, and over the course of 5 hunts in the spot, a bushel of forged nails, one brass key, an Indian head cent, a 1912 Lincoln cent, three tiny pieces of pottery, new fired ammunition, a Civil War eagle "D" and NOTHING MUCH ELSE. No reales, no colonial or KG coppers. We can't figure out where the rest of the house went or was. Or if there was a house there. There is just a tiny bit of brick up there, not enough for a chimney or building. It is a lovely hilltop with a view. Maybe just the equivalent of a colonial lovers' lane. Two years now on that spot (about 6 times in that area), and we just keep scratching our heads on this place. Satellite images show SOMETHING used to be there. A barn? Where's the house?

And yes, from what I gather he was that ugly.

BTW...aaaarrrrrggggggghhhh! Can't figure out this place. Everything except the road area is just plain random.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1655441 this is from a couple weeks ago. It makes five I've found. This is the best of them all for detail. Poor quality silver. You'll get the sound of a small silver tombac. Not scratchy but not strong. Definitely doesn't scream silver. Don't know what it rings up. I never take out the remote besides to turn it on. View attachment 1655443
Now those bigger reales. "Nada" never found one yet.

I found a 8 and a 1/2 reale it still unbelievable to me.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 8 and a 1/2 reale it still unbelievable to me.

Congrats to you on a large silver. I always think it must have been dark when they were lost not to be noticed.
Your in a good state for Spanish silver, I'm sure you'll find more.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you on a large silver. I always think it must have been dark when they were lost not to be noticed.
Your in a good state for Spanish silver, I'm sure you'll find more.

I found the Spanish Mexican 8 Reales in a sidewalk strip. 9” and SOILD black so black I had no idea what it was. Also got 2 half dimes this years. What a hobby!! IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0538.JPG

Lot of money back then to be losing and those huge silver had to be lost at night. IMG_0359.JPG

Last edited:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
The ol' cat is getting old. I really skipped the summer season, haven't View attachment 1653577 View attachment 1653578 been feeling all that well. Soooo....a few weeks ago a few of us started going over some of our old honey holes. We went to some of best areas from last year. A couple we had hit so hard so didn't find much. Another was just a plain bust.
ance of actually finding something. A few of us found minies ( I did not find any.) I headed with one friend up a little hill and got a nice, flat c
The third site, which I have taken a few people two was looking like a disappointment also, however the farmer had (gasp) actually turned the soil so now there was a better cholonial button in amongst some coal scraps and a lot of iron nails. It took forever but I finally got a nice silver cufflink, a few more buttons and a breast plate or horse tack piece, it's hard to tell as it is heavy stamped brass with a lead fill. A Rev War military button was found on the site. This was just a day ago.

I kept circling the small area and got a solid 92 signal on the Deus, which is normally either silver, quarter sized or a square of aluminum. I called my bud over with his new Equinox and his machine saw it and he interpreted it as a minie ball at an 18 on the Equinox. It was a nice sized, solid piece. I took a huge bite of dirt out and flipped the muddy plug over. Out pops a 1772 2 Escudo coin! Of course, I didn't have my glasses on and couldn't see what it was lying on the ground so yelled at my friend, what is it? What is it? After all I can't see what the thing was! The reve View attachment 1653579 howed. He picked it up and at that point I think I because speechless as he said I didn't react much. Well, surprise will do that to you.

We also found a lot of other cool early pieces. The pottery is 18th century but we didn't find much of it. Enjoy. View attachment 1653577

Late to the party here, but wow what an incredible find!!! Congratulations, that's just a spectacular gold coin :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest: