Went to the Barber Yesterday But I Found One Today

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

As the title says I got my haircut yesterday. More importantly, I found a beautiful 1914-S Barber Dime today. It's in a spot I've been over 10 times and I somehow missed it cause it was in the same hole as a nail. I was tinkering with the settings on my CTX which seemed to help me find things I didn't before.

Specifically I:
-Cranked the sensitivity up to 22
-Put it on low trash
-Put it in saltwater mode
-Turned "Fast Recover" off

I'll be honest, I don't actually know what all those do but I've read enough to know that tinkering with those settings can help performance.

Here is the eye candy:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542762694.240025.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542762703.103146.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542762711.511882.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
-W

Upvote 30

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent condition. I like the airplane too. Congrats on the finds.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And how sweet it is!!! Great job as they say the best way to learn is to keep swinging. On the job training. Congratulations on that beauty.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice! sounds like you need to remove more nails from your grounds. They are annoying little beasts!:laughing7:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking coin. I don’t get many Barbers, so they all look good to me!

Best of luck to you and Junior.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice barber, Wash...…. I'm still learning the CTX, only started using it in April of this year... I should start playing with the settings too, at 67 my hearing isn't as good so I try not to crank anything up too much, I hate too much chatter.. lol my snow is down to 3" , but, going to be in the teens by morning... hope to get back out soon... Keep up the good finds, buddy... Basss

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Dime!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice barber, Wash...…. I'm still learning the CTX, only started using it in April of this year... I should start playing with the settings too, at 67 my hearing isn't as good so I try not to crank anything up too much, I hate too much chatter.. lol my snow is down to 3" , but, going to be in the teens by morning... hope to get back out soon... Keep up the good finds, buddy... Basss

Thanks bass, hope you get back out soon too! I think there are still a few more silvers with your name on them before your season is over.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks,

As the title says I got my haircut yesterday. More importantly, I found a beautiful 1914-S Barber Dime today. It's in a spot I've been over 10 times and I somehow missed it cause it was in the same hole as a nail. I was tinkering with the settings on my CTX which seemed to help me find things I didn't before.

Specifically I:
-Cranked the sensitivity up to 22
-Put it on low trash
-Put it in saltwater mode
-Turned "Fast Recover" off

I'll be honest, I don't actually know what all those do but I've read enough to know that tinkering with those settings can help performance.

Here is the eye candy:
View attachment 1653724 View attachment 1653725 View attachment 1653726

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
-W

Yup, I learned that early on with the FBS machines, turn fast Off and deep On when looking for deep targets. The Trash setting is site dependent. I doubt the Salt Water setting will help any when you're away from the water. Nice finds though, so, your method must not be too bad! :laughing7: Oh, and swing the coil a bit slower with deep targets too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Yup, I learned that early on with the FBS machines, turn fast Off and deep On when looking for deep targets. The Trash setting is site dependent. I doubt the Salt Water setting will help any when you're away from the water. Nice finds though, so, your method must not be too bad! :laughing7:

Good to know. I'm actually hunting a site within a couple hundred feet of the ocean, otherwise I wouldn't have even thought of that. Thanks for the feedback/confirmation!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
She’s a beauty along with the other finds. Congrats.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! And thanks for showing your settings. I know that they are different for every machine, every bit of land and probably your horoscope that day, but it gives us more things to try. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread