πŸ₯‡ BANNER Revolutionary War Loyalist Dragoon button?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long day with Donnie Bailey .3 sites and not a lot of targets.last site gave up the button on the lip of real old cellar.thought it was just a plain button but as I was scrubbing it at home in the sink, this guy on horse appeared.looks definitely like a 1700's button and I have never seen another one like this. Hoping it could be military (Dragoon Button ) ? Or just a civilian button? looks somewhat like the SC loyalist button.Any confirmation and variety would be appreciated.Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_4100.JPG
    100_4100.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 733
  • 100_4101.JPG
    100_4101.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 426
  • rev war dragoon 1.jpg
    rev war dragoon 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 402
  • rev war dragoon  4.jpg
    rev war dragoon 4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 335
  • rev war dragoon  5.jpg
    rev war dragoon 5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 256
  • rev war dragoon 3.jpg
    rev war dragoon 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 318
  • rev war dragoon  6.jpg
    rev war dragoon 6.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    Rev War dragoon 7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Upvote 64

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool looking button definitely old

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks British for sure, very cool and in nice shape

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'd agree for a Loyalist button. I've had a couple, they have been coming out for several years now. There are also similar ones in brass that have been found in the south and also in Eastern Canada

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a day yesterday! The targets were few and far between. The hikes were long but it was a beautiful day to be out in the woods. Congrats buddy! Outstanding button. Glad you got confirmation from our good friend, Danny, and from Don. Awesome dude! I'm voting banner for my good friend.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what a beautiful button. finds like that when you are cleaning your finds make lousy day turn into an awesome day. congrats and super cool

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find, Dave! Let's hope it is what you think. If you get confirmation, you'll have my banner vote!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Dave! Did Don date it to the Rev War period?

My banner vote is in

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find! Don Troiani replied to my question about the button and said mine is British with typical British Army construction of the button.raised boss under where shank was.

Here's that back side of my "RP" Loyalist button-same construction as yours.

1462934535636.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find! Don Troiani replied to my question about the button and said mine is British with typical British Army construction of the button.raised boss under where shank was.
The construction is the same as civilian buttons as well, so what was the attribution?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one knows and anything that resembles an answer is speculation. It's an interesting mystery as many are dug in the UK and quite a few turn up in America too. Not all are the same either, which is another interesting factor. Loyalist makes no sense to me. (In the First book it was SC Dragoons - so clearly it's a best guess) Have never seen anyone dig one from this part of the world and myself and the people I know have been the main source of Loyalist military buttons being posted on here. And it's not like Loyalist (military) buttons turn up in any great numbers in the UK either.. they're actually pretty rare. Unfortunately explaining what I think it's not doesn't help any for what exactly it is... but unknown British is how I see it. Sort of the same idea as the Snake buttons... cool and sought after finds but no one seems to know for sure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one knows and anything that resembles an answer is speculation. It's an interesting mystery as many are dug in the UK and quite a few turn up in America too. Not all are the same either, which is another interesting factor. Loyalist makes no sense to me. (In the First book it was SC Dragoons - so clearly it's a best guess) Have never seen anyone dig one from this part of the world and myself and the people I know have been the main source of Loyalist military buttons being posted on here. And it's not like Loyalist (military) buttons turn up in any great numbers in the UK either.. they're actually pretty rare. Unfortunately explaining what I think it's not doesn't help any for what exactly it is... but unknown British is how I see it. Sort of the same idea as the Snake buttons... cool and sought after finds but no one seems to know for sure.
Agreed, unknown British, not enough to say Military yet.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome
Congrats

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a very cool find! An old Revolutionary War-era button. The Charleston area was a hotbed of insurrectionists, any Loyalist minded person had their head down, and their mouth shut. So proclaiming your loyalty to the King on your clothing was not only unlikely, but would be an act just asking for the noose. The same anywhere in South Carolina. So, as mentioned above, it's a cool period button, which likely at the time carried no connotation as to where your loyalties lay. Nice find, nonetheless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread