1783 Nova Constellatio and Key Date Large Cent!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This yard continues to surprise me! :hello2: We had two days of warm weather and rain so the ground actually thawed and I was able to squeeze in a hunt on Sunday. I have several permissions from this Fall that I wanted to do mop-up sweeps on, but because of the quick winter I had to choose just one. This is the yard that produced all of the antique keys and KGII coppers so I had a feeling there might have been a few smaller relics I missed and if I was lucky a 1/2 real or something. Conditions were perfect so I did a careful sweep and as expected a number of tiny buttons and smaller metal bits turned up. To my surprise I did in fact miss a bit of silver right in the middle of where I had been digging two weeks before!

DSC00351.JPG DSC00352.JPG

It looks like it had a pin on the back that broke off and there are no hallmarks, but definitely solid silver. I love the script letter on the front, but it seems a bit minimalist for jewelry. Very interesting whatever it was.

I finished up that spot and started new ground that was further away from the house. Lower target density, but a few small older pieces here and there until I happened upon a clear coin signal. I was expecting another large cent, but was floored when this fell out of the plug:

DSC00332.JPG DSC00334.JPG

A gorgeous 1783 Nova Constellatio! It took some work cleaning it since the patina was delicate (I did lose a small chip on the obverse), but the design is very clear on one side and decent on the other. Looks to be a Crosby 2B and not something I expected to turn up so soon after my first this past Summer. This year has been ridiculously productive in terms of early American coppers!

The finds dried up quickly further away from the house so I went back along the side of the house where the iron noise was the heaviest. I had already determined that the early residents had dumped their stove ash along one side of the house and had largely avoided that spot since it makes a mess digging into. However, this time there was a broken high tone close to the surface so I made a small plug and flipped it over. The signal disappeared (which happens to me all the time in ashy soil), but I spotted the green rim in the dirt and pulled out what may very well be the finest dug large cent I will ever hold in my hands:

DSC00335.JPG DSC00344.JPG

It required almost no cleaning; just a little tooth picking to get the dirt out of the spots between hair ridges. The reverse didn't even need that! Not only is it a classic head in probably AU condition, but 1814 is a scarce date with only 357,000 minted. That's less than half as many as there are 1877 Indian Head cents! There are certainly a few rarer LC dates, but I doubt I'll pull them out of the ground and definitely not in this shape! :hello2:

Aside from those, there were plenty more relics of all different ages scattered about:

DSC00345.JPG DSC00346.JPG DSC00347.JPG DSC00348.JPG

Of course more antique keys turned up including a barrel tap key. I also dug my first jew's harp. For whatever reason I haven't come across one until now and I see in other areas they're dug with relative frequency. I guess they just weren't that popular around here. :dontknow:

There was a tiny fragment of what must have been a beautiful tombac buckle:

DSC00353.JPG

I'll keep looking for more pieces, but I wish I could find a whole one. There was also this interesting silver-washed plate:

DSC00355.JPG

This has been a fascinating yard and the owners have been very kind and excited to see what has turned up. It really nice when the landowners are interested in the history and even better when I can show them relics with actual history behind them! I have their blessing to keep up the search too which is fantastic. With all the old relics and coppers there has to be some old silver hiding somewhere and I definitely can't stop until I find it! :laughing7:

Upvote 64

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Those are awesome finds. Thanks for sharing.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive to say the least!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, you must be over the moon with joy
your cleaning methods are excellent also

Thank you! I found that large cent two weeks ago and I still can't stop looking at it. Apart from being green and 204 years old it looks like it was minted yesterday ; no other coin I've pulled out of the ground compares to it.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really great finds, Congrats Paleomaxx!!! outstanding finds and thanks for sharing!!! "D"

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very sweet and rare finds. I thought my 1818 large cent came out looking great but that 1814 is insane. Great job! 🤑[emoji106]

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet and rare finds. I thought my 1818 large cent came out looking great but that 1814 is insane. Great job!

Thank you! I really wish more large coppers came out of the ground looking like this. The old coins were beautifully designed, but all you usually see are photos of what they looked like when they were mint. This is the first time I've been able to hold a coin that looked as it did when it was new and it's a very different experience. I'm hoping it's not a one-time thing and that more like it are waiting to be recovered in the ash layer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread