🥇 BANNER 1767 FRENCH GRENADIER SWORD!!! Pepperbox Pistol and our 100th Seated Silver!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm absolutely shocked. Evidently I've just dug a 250 year old, 1700's military sword of the type carried by the U.S. Continental infantry troops during the Rev War. There aren't too many things I could dig and be completely shocked. Well this is it. Here's the video:

Went out with Shangalang and my wife, Diggergirl. We hit the cane fields after speaking to the owner of the property and seeing how they were doing and how their Thanksgiving was going. Pretty soon Shang hit a shield nickel, then I got a V. Then Diggergirl came smiling with a broken brass hammer used for working around natural gas and oil (won't spark). But it was a psych out, as she then opened her hand to reveal our 100th Seated coin dug since we started digging in 2012: a taco bent 1851-O Half Dime:

212_1585.JPG IMG_8666.jpeg

After that I eyeballed a nice Shield nickel on top of the ground:

212_1580.JPG

Then surprisingly I eyeballed another--also right on top!

IMG_8668.jpeg

The craziest part is that BOTH of these coins had dates--1869 and 1871! (Although I knew that the second one would be a nice one when I wiped it off in the field) :)

IMG_8671.jpeg IMG_8672.jpeg

We eyeballed a ton of porcelain buttons. Common to find a few. Uncommon to find a handful:

IMG_1951.JPG

Then Shang left after lunch to prepare to roast a whole pig and DG and I kept digging! Soon DG came running up with a find I've never seen made before in person--what I strongly suspected to be a PEPPERBOX PISTOL! Doing some quick googling confirmed it! I'm almost positive that this is an Allen & Thurber six shot pepperbox pistol from c.1837!

IMG_8684.jpeg IMG_8687A.jpg

After light cleaning, I was pleased to be able to open up almost all of the percussion cap nipples with a safety pin, and all but one barrel cleaned out well (the last barrel may actually still be loaded).

IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Then Digger Girl got a lead toy cannon (early 20th c) and this strange tiny brass arrow that looks like it was braised onto something:

IMG_1958.JPG

I walked up on a nice find, a Civil War Enfield tompion, where it had washed out of the ground:

IMG_8698.jpeg IMG_8699.jpeg

Then I got a nice, 12 inch deep 86 reading. Too low for a silver half. Too high for a silver quarter on my F75. I was thinking that it had to be a piece of brass pipe (we've found some plumbing stuff in this site, as it's a mixed site with old and new, including a lot of aluminum can!). Over a foot down in the top of a row rolled out what I thought was exactly that--a brass piece of pipe. But I picked it up and it was HEAVY. Then I saw the shape and started screaming "SWORD!!! SWORD!!!!"

IMG_8675.jpeg

I just couldn't believe it. It was an entirely intact pommel except for the knucklebow and cross. But then I started searching online and wrote to the international sword forum for an ID and what came back shocked me even more! It's a model 1767 French Marine Grenadier Sabre! I'm just STUNNED to see this 250 year old military relic. SHOCKED! So it's either Colonial French or Rev War in provenance. Take your pick; in South Louisiana it's a toss up!

IMG_8704.jpeg IMG_8711.JPG

EDIT: Closer investigation reveals that it may be more like this style of the M1767, with the scalloped top. Note the ever-so-slightly different shape where the knuckle bow meets the grip:

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

I'm just shocked. Humbled by history.

Wishing all of you the best,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 122

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a crazy hunt-so many great finds

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza museum stuff Amazing that would look great in my display case lol Good job you 2

Thank you! I'm totally stoked about the sword (not to minimize my wife's great finds!)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow just an incredible hunt!!!..Here I am sitting in the snow ....also still looking for my first seated..congrats

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just wanted to share this, it is an awesome feeling to have your wife hunt with you. many guys wish that their's did but don't and so the ones like you and me that do have one that does, have very special wives indeed. no matter what, you have a winner there my friend. Jerry

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds my friend!

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing hunt. Congrats. Love the sword. That's my favorite of your finds!!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous BB, Humbling? Yeah I'd say!

What are you guys thinkin? Banners up!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a day worthy of bragging about. Congrats

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way Bb,

I meant to warn you this morning about the "Brass" hammer. Although it's probably a ball peen type it's probably the same composition as the claw hammers I've seen for opening dynamite boxes.
It's not actually brass. It has an element added to it to make it springy and resilient to blows against steel surfaces without damaging the hammer or creating a spark.

That element is beryllium, it's about as radioactive as cobalt! Please don't grind burn or cut it with a gas flame because the beryllium will become friable, airborne and highly toxic. Even if you and DG have handled it a lot, barehanded, consult your physician and perhaps take some iodine tabs.

I don't mean to freak you out needlessly but I wanted you to be AWARE. I wouldn't have ever known about this but I had a toolmaker in my group that used to build satellites for NASA and the military. The guy had worked at Los Alamos for an extended period and knew about all there was to know about Rads.

There was probably a good reason someone tossed it!

Best wishes!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow just an incredible hunt!!!..Here I am sitting in the snow ....also still looking for my first seated..congrats

Shame about the snow. I remember well having to wait for months for a thaw, but I’m thankful that I’m where the ground never freezes—although the summer heat presents a real obstacle!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wanted to share this, it is an awesome feeling to have your wife hunt with you. many guys wish that their's did but don't and so the ones like you and me that do have one that does, have very special wives indeed. no matter what, you have a winner there my friend. Jerry

I agree with you 100%! Some of the best moments of my life have been digging with her—and we also got engaged on a digging trip and had a metal detecting themed wedding right down to the cake topper :)

Attachments

• 0B22F831-3BAD-48CA-911C-25CFAC918926.jpeg
    0B22F831-3BAD-48CA-911C-25CFAC918926.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 3CB13C1C-FA34-4188-9D24-9C6E474D0DF0.jpeg
    3CB13C1C-FA34-4188-9D24-9C6E474D0DF0.jpeg
    713.8 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous BB, Humbling? Yeah I'd say!

What are you guys thinkin? Banners up!

Sword would look great on the banner. Please consider voting for it.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way Bb,

I meant to warn you this morning about the "Brass" hammer. Although it's probably a ball peen type it's probably the same composition as the claw hammers I've seen for opening dynamite boxes.
It's not actually brass. It has an element added to it to make it springy and resilient to blows against steel surfaces without damaging the hammer or creating a spark.

That element is beryllium, it's about as radioactive as cobalt! Please don't grind burn or cut it with a gas flame because the beryllium will become friable, airborne and highly toxic. Even if you and DG have handled it a lot, barehanded, consult your physician and perhaps take some iodine tabs.

I don't mean to freak you out needlessly but I wanted you to be AWARE. I wouldn't have ever known about this but I had a toolmaker in my group that used to build satellites for NASA and the military. The guy had worked at Los Alamos for an extended period and knew about all there was to know about Rads.

There was probably a good reason someone tossed it!

Best wishes!

[FONT=&quot]“In solid form and as finished objects, beryllium copper presents no known health hazard.”
[/FONT]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper

I think we’re good but thank you for your concern. The hammer piece is in the recycling bin anyhow.

Cheers,

Buck

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bride and I have now been together 44 yrs. There's an awful lot to be said for sharing the wonderment of things you might have taken for granted, apart. Cooking, Dining Home Inprovement (ouch), Family Secrets, Recreation and so, so much more!

Long life and great happiness!

P.S. You did the right thing by the recycle bin!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bride and I have now been together 44 yrs. There's an awful lot to be said for sharing the wonderment of things you might have taken for granted, apart. Cooking, Dining Home Inprovement (ouch), Family Secrets, Recreation and so, so much more!

Long life and great happiness!

P.S. You did the right thing by the recycle bin!

Right you are, my friend! Every detecting trip is like being a kid on Christmas morning again!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on earning Banner!....great history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread