πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1767 FRENCH GRENADIER SWORD!!! Pepperbox Pistol and our 100th Seated Silver!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm absolutely shocked. Evidently I've just dug a 250 year old, 1700's military sword of the type carried by the U.S. Continental infantry troops during the Rev War. There aren't too many things I could dig and be completely shocked. Well this is it. Here's the video:

Went out with Shangalang and my wife, Diggergirl. We hit the cane fields after speaking to the owner of the property and seeing how they were doing and how their Thanksgiving was going. Pretty soon Shang hit a shield nickel, then I got a V. Then Diggergirl came smiling with a broken brass hammer used for working around natural gas and oil (won't spark). But it was a psych out, as she then opened her hand to reveal our 100th Seated coin dug since we started digging in 2012: a taco bent 1851-O Half Dime:

212_1585.JPG IMG_8666.jpeg

After that I eyeballed a nice Shield nickel on top of the ground:

212_1580.JPG

Then surprisingly I eyeballed another--also right on top!

IMG_8668.jpeg

The craziest part is that BOTH of these coins had dates--1869 and 1871! (Although I knew that the second one would be a nice one when I wiped it off in the field) :)

IMG_8671.jpeg IMG_8672.jpeg

We eyeballed a ton of porcelain buttons. Common to find a few. Uncommon to find a handful:

IMG_1951.JPG

Then Shang left after lunch to prepare to roast a whole pig and DG and I kept digging! Soon DG came running up with a find I've never seen made before in person--what I strongly suspected to be a PEPPERBOX PISTOL! Doing some quick googling confirmed it! I'm almost positive that this is an Allen & Thurber six shot pepperbox pistol from c.1837!

IMG_8684.jpeg IMG_8687A.jpg

After light cleaning, I was pleased to be able to open up almost all of the percussion cap nipples with a safety pin, and all but one barrel cleaned out well (the last barrel may actually still be loaded).

IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Then Digger Girl got a lead toy cannon (early 20th c) and this strange tiny brass arrow that looks like it was braised onto something:

IMG_1958.JPG

I walked up on a nice find, a Civil War Enfield tompion, where it had washed out of the ground:

IMG_8698.jpeg IMG_8699.jpeg

Then I got a nice, 12 inch deep 86 reading. Too low for a silver half. Too high for a silver quarter on my F75. I was thinking that it had to be a piece of brass pipe (we've found some plumbing stuff in this site, as it's a mixed site with old and new, including a lot of aluminum can!). Over a foot down in the top of a row rolled out what I thought was exactly that--a brass piece of pipe. But I picked it up and it was HEAVY. Then I saw the shape and started screaming "SWORD!!! SWORD!!!!"

IMG_8675.jpeg

I just couldn't believe it. It was an entirely intact pommel except for the knucklebow and cross. But then I started searching online and wrote to the international sword forum for an ID and what came back shocked me even more! It's a model 1767 French Marine Grenadier Sabre! I'm just STUNNED to see this 250 year old military relic. SHOCKED! So it's either Colonial French or Rev War in provenance. Take your pick; in South Louisiana it's a toss up!

IMG_8704.jpeg IMG_8711.JPG

EDIT: Closer investigation reveals that it may be more like this style of the M1767, with the scalloped top. Note the ever-so-slightly different shape where the knuckle bow meets the grip:

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

I'm just shocked. Humbled by history.

Wishing all of you the best,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 122

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva pile of finds there! Amazing what comes out of that place. It has to be like walking back in time being out there. Thanks for sharing those with us.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime! wow, the history that you guys dug. the pepperbox pistol is a dream come true (or would be for me at least), the seated would be super nice, the nice V nickles and then that sword handle, what a hunt!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a bunch of tremendous finds. 100 seated coins is quite a milestone. Kudos to you and your fellow hunters!!!

leonidas

Aug 30, 2018
Kennesaw, Ga
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, White's MXT, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed your post and congrats on the finds!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one fantastic relic and coin shooting hunt! :notworthy:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, BB, Shang & DG!!! Your "usual" exceptional coin & relic finds!

Iowa Dale

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An absolutely astounding hunt! Big congratulations, what an amazing variety of finds!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! Boy are my eyes green with envy. You guys really had a fantastic hunt.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Who dat? Who der???
Will, holy moly bro! That sword grip is incredible. Then the usual standard of Cane Bandit killer finds. Great to see you’re on the good stuff. Way to go

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds.:icon_thumright:

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done as always, congrats

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow! fantastic saves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread