First time hunting

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post here and first serious attempt at metal detecting as a hobby. I've metal detected before, but never very seriously until now.

Last night I picked up a BH Quick Draw Pro and decided to test it out in the back yard. I've gone over the yard in the past with a cheap harbor freight detector and never found anything. But this is what I found last night. A few "nothing special"s and this decorative piece that I can't identify. I'm thinking it's a topper for an iron fence. The QDP registered it as a dime, so copper(?). It's definitely non-ferrous. I put it up to my fishing magnet just to be sure. We've lived at this house for 15 years and I've looked at past satellite images back to the 80's and there's never been a metal fence here, so I have no idea if that's actually what this is from or where it came from. It's not a ring, but still more fun to find that pull tabs and beer cans. LOL.

IMG_20181128_210039.jpg

IMG_20181128_194937.jpg

IMG_20181128_195837.jpg

Upvote 23

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and so it begins. dig everything because numbers can and do lie, mainly because the machine can be fooled. good luck and hope to see you posting more finds

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I will definitely be posting here quite a bit. I wish I had done better of documenting my finds back when I toyed around, but alas, I was young and foolish. Hahaha.

My four year old was helping me last night and after his over the top excitement at pulling up that first dime, I went out this morning and bought him a bounty hunter junior for Christmas. So you will be seeing a lot of me and the little man early in the new year.

EDIT: Most of my metal detecting will be on Padre Island, with the exception of the state park and national seashore where it's banned, so I absolutely dig everything. I hate litter right down to my bones, so if I dig up a bunch of old beer cans, sure it's not exciting, but I'm doing my small part in cleaning up the beaches.

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard from Northern Virginia :skullflag:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !

that is actually a pretty good start for a back yard...interesting piece of metal.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your curly cue item might be something to do with power lines or tree branches something to hook them with? Take your little guy to playgrounds with wood chips or sand and let him find a lot of change and he will be hooked also.

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some serious google image searching, I think I just figured out that curly cue item. I'm thinking it's a drapery rod finial....aka a curtain rod end. I found a couple online that are very, very close in style.

Makes sense. I know squat about interior design. Hahahaha!

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in a great MD area...good luck!

Problem is everyone knows it's a great MD area so it gets a lot of traffic. LOL.

Lot's of trashy spots, too. People in this city have a real bad problem putting their trash in the proper place. Drives me crazy. Not just as a metal detector, but as a matter of principal.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from California. Looks like you are off to a great start!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it time when you find old silver and gold its a game changer.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also from MI Tommy

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds like you're hooked. Good luck and Welcome.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The disc with the tabs on it looks like brake parts for a bicycle coaster brake hub. Here's a pic of some that are similar. Gary

s-l400.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread